Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day of the Dead Tv Cut

United States

Day of the Dead Tv Cut

So, there this site here http://www.stumpydisks.com/workprints.html that apparently, has new footage of Day of the Dead that's never been on any dvd release.

With it a bunch of other horror films with rare workprints.

I'm suspicious it doesn't say what this new/alternate footage is though. It could be BS.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hrm.....if none of our members know anything about this supposed alternate cut, who wants to be the guinea pig?

I played the part for a Dawn poster a while pack, so i'm claiming immunity on this one....
    Last edited by bassman; 23-Feb-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: .

United States
    That return of the living dead sounds good. along with ED2 and creepshow, day, and ft13th part 4. those are my 5

United States
    I'll be the guinea pig Bass. Granted, I won't buy it immediately. I'm short at this time.

It says "new/alternate footage". So, I guess by alternate we should be expecting alternate dialogue, and different camera angles? And I wonder it's additional footage is more actual scenes, and not just some shots that last like, a few seconds later.

Granted, I'd probably find it cool, but would be disappointed.

From what I know there's about 30 minutes of Day cut. Some of it was just additional gore scenes, and the rest was more character development for soldiers. I'm especially, interested in the latter.

United States
    Don't bother wasting your money. I emailed the company and they said it was just the t.v. version with dialog sanitized and the gore removed. There are no additional scenes or alternate takes, etc...

United States
    Aha. Ok.

I knew about a censored tv cut, but wondered if the product they were selling was indeed the one, and the same which, is the reason I was wary.

Thanks! :-)
    Last edited by Doc; 23-Feb-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

From what I know there's about 30 minutes of Day cut. Some of it was just additional gore scenes, and the rest was more character development for soldiers. I'm especially, interested in the latter.
    Where did you hear this? I've never heard that before.
    I know that Rubinstein said in The Zombies that ate Pittsburgh the first cut was 2 hours and six minutes, which would be about 25 minutes of missing footage. However, I've spoke to a lot of people involved with the film, including the editor Pat Buba, and they have no idea what Rubinstein was talking about.

United States
    Hmmm...? I could swore I've read articles where Romero has confirmed this a couple of times, and I actually never have heard Rubinstein talk about it before. :-o

It's pretty obvious there is some cut stuff though.

Though, I guess i shouldn't take everything Romero says as, fact. Apparently, he claims they never filmed the suicide ending of "Dawn" while, Savini says yes. And in "Documentary of the Dead" he said he filmed both. So, meh who knows.

Romero, and his crew do seem to be a forgetful bunch. And also "The Zombies that Ate Pittsburgh"? What is that?
    Last edited by Doc; 23-Feb-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: .

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Romero, and his crew do seem to be a forgetful bunch.
    25 to 40 years of passed time will do that to anyone, really.

And also "The Zombies that Ate Pittsburgh"? What is that?
    A book about Romero's films.

http://www.amazon.com/Zombies-That-A.../dp/0396085202

It's a shame to hear is just the TV edit. I was excited by the possibility of new footage. Maybe one day...
    Last edited by bassman; 23-Feb-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: .

United States
    A TV edit? What a joke... but it would be funny if drunk enough I suppose.

"This isn't a field trip people, it's a gosh darn war!"

"You're a Mr. Falcon caveman, Steele!"

"I wish I could fix the Mr. Falcon radio, Steele, just to get away from your Mr. Falcon dirty mouth!"

Hmm... that could actually add an all new element to the film. I can see people watching it asking: "This movie is stupid, they always talked about Mr. Falcon but he never made an appearance!" To which I would reply: "Well, he was busy working with Bruce Willis on a film at the time, they were rather good friends."

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    25 to 40 years of passed time will do that to anyone, really.
    Yeah, I'm not saying he should remember every single little detail.

But, I've seen plenty of other directors, and writers remember vividly the details, and scenes in their own films 25 or 30 years later without, problem with the exception of some small stuff.

I can understand maybe, 2 or 3 films, but almost everytime I hear a commentary with GAR on one of his films the guy also seems not to remember much detail, or to much at all. Even with "Dawn" and "Day". Heck, he can't even remember the budget of his own film at times.

And no, I'm complaining at all! HAHA! It just makes me wonder at times if the info we even get on the Docs, and commentaries are even accurate at times since like, I said they seem like a forgetful bunch.

Screw it! I'll just shut up and enjoy the films!

THAT'S FUCKING AWESOME!

I GOTS TO HAVE IT!

It's a shame to hear is just the TV edit. I was excited by the possibility of new footage. Maybe one day...
    Yeah, bummer.

Haha, I still want to get this censored tv cut from somewhere else though. Just so, I can own another cut of Day. Even it is inferior. I'm out to collect it all!

So, does this mean the other workprints are probably BS as well?

There's also a Creepshow one in there.....

Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    A TV edit? What a joke... but it would be funny if drunk enough I suppose.

"This isn't a field trip people, it's a gosh darn war!"

"You're a Mr. Falcon caveman, Steele!"

"I wish I could fix the Mr. Falcon radio, Steele, just to get away from your Mr. Falcon dirty mouth!"

Hmm... that could actually add an all new element to the film. I can see people watching it asking: "This movie is stupid, they always talked about Mr. Falcon but he never made an appearance!" To which I would reply: "Well, he was busy working with Bruce Willis on a film at the time, they were rather good friends."

That's one tv cut I'd watch.
    Last edited by Doc; 24-Feb-2011 at 02:53 AM. Reason: .

United States
    On Scifi channel there was an edited line from Captain Rhodes about "fiddling with his command".

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Chasing Prey

Canada
    I'll be the guinea pig Bass. Granted, I won't buy it immediately. I'm short at this time.

It says "new/alternate footage". So, I guess by alternate we should be expecting alternate dialogue, and different camera angles? And I wonder it's additional footage is more actual scenes, and not just some shots that last like, a few seconds later.

Granted, I'd probably find it cool, but would be disappointed.

they did this with demolition man on a stallone warner 4 pack dvd. it was just alternate angles and slightly longer scenes. but it was VERY noticeable.

Undisclosed
    So, there this site here http://www.stumpydisks.com/workprints.html that apparently, has new footage of Day of the Dead that's never been on any dvd release.

With it a bunch of other horror films with rare workprints.

I'm suspicious it doesn't say what this new/alternate footage is though. It could be BS.
    Wow....wonder y it was never realeased? That Return of the Living Dead with new footage looks cool as well!
    I SMELL SOME POO...

Christmas Island
    Shysters.