Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Logan stays dead?

Just been bitten

Undisclosed

Dr. Logan stays dead?

I'm sure this has been discussed, but why didn't Dr. Logan rise after being executed? Did he catch a round in the skull that we didn't see?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yes. Let's just leave it at that. Yes.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

back, back i say!
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've given it a lot of thought...and the answer is 42.

United States
    Y'all know it's a good question. And the answer lies somewhere between GAR and Inconsistent.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Just been bitten

United States
    Either GAR simply forgot to show Logan rising or it's a relic from the original scrip for Day (which had a character not rising and thus giving hope to the survivors that the zombie pandemic was ending). My money's on the latter.
    God is Santa Claus for adults

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I think it's a goof. However, the goof is not that Romero FORGOT to revive him, but instead that he neglected to show a head wound clearly, because he probably thought (wrongly) that what he showed on-screen was enough to give us the impression of a body punctured top to bottom by bullets. The poor guy is absolutely riddled with lead, it's possible, nay, likely that he got hit in the head and that Romero intended this to be the case. We're certainly not shown otherwise (we first see Logan being shot from the front, the bullets pounding his torso, but then cut to a shot from behind and we see him from the shoulders down, dancing around like a ragdoll as bullets rake across his body and finally collapses).

I think we're supposed to assume that Rhodes's bullets put him out of action permanently. But it's too ambiguous to be sure.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This is been covered in several threads, i believe. The short answer is there is no answer.

I could be wrong, but isn't Richard Liberty asked this question on the Day dvd audio interview and he says it was never discussed?

United States
    I've watched the scene enough times to be convinced that the brain is never destroyed. The head appears intact both when Logan drops during the shooting scene and later when Bub finds him. There just doesn't appear to be a head wound.

My personal opinion is that Rhodes and his men would've preferred to kill Logan in such a way as to preserve his brain and make him into one of the creatures. But they weren't really thinking too hard about it at the time.

We also don't know specifics of how long it takes for a dead body to rise. Most of the evidence points to a timeframe that is very short. But it's not conclusive. Everything happened very fast. It's possible that Logan just hadn't gotten around to it yet. We know he was late to meetings.

And, as everyone knows, there's no clean answer here.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Ireland
    He dies in a freezer. Probably wouldn't be doing too much walking around after that.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    He dies in a freezer. Probably wouldn't be doing too much walking around after that.
    Well....Dead bodies shouldn't be doing too much walking around period.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I hate to say it, but if I had to guess I would say it was a goof and we are all scrutinizing the scene much more than the production crew was, unfortunately.

United States
    Now see, all these people have it completely wrong...

Doc Logan was a genius, after all, and he was well-prepared for the day that Rhodes and his men would decide to attempt to kill him. What really happened that day is that Logan had a thin but effective bullet-proof body vest that he was wearing. He also had the vest sealed with a red ink to make it look like exploding blood if shot. It was all very realistic, and part of his ploy, you see.

When Bub came upon Logan he hadn't turned because he wasn't really dead. The shock of the bullets was enough to knock him unconscious for some time though. Many hours later, after he came to again, it was to his great chagrin that the ghouls were in the compound. However, the scene of Bub and Dr. Logan embracing as friends was a very emotional one, and with Bub's help Logan was able to make it to the armory in succeeding in the plan that Rhodes failed in earlier -- unloading the artillery on the ghouls in the compound and "blowing the piss out of 'em".

Bub and Dr. Logan were able to re-take the facility from the ghouls. There in the compound they lived many years of playing chess and arguing about Aunt Alicia's cookies and Logan was able to create a family of sorts, the kind he never had before, after training many more ghouls to behave themselves. Of course, one day, Logan decided to leave the compound with his new friends for good -- but, as they say, that's a story for another day...

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Now see, all these people have it completely wrong...

Doc Logan was a genius, after all, and he was well-prepared for the day that Rhodes and his men would decide to attempt to kill him. What really happened that day is that Logan had a thin but effective bullet-proof body vest that he was wearing. He also had the vest sealed with a red ink to make it look like exploding blood if shot. It was all very realistic, and part of his ploy, you see.

When Bub came upon Logan he hadn't turned because he wasn't really dead. The shock of the bullets was enough to knock him unconscious for some time though. Many hours later, after he came to again, it was to his great chagrin that the ghouls were in the compound. However, the scene of Bub and Dr. Logan embracing as friends was a very emotional one, and with Bub's help Logan was able to make it to the armory in succeeding in the plan that Rhodes failed in earlier -- unloading the artillery on the ghouls in the compound and "blowing the piss out of 'em".

Bub and Dr. Logan were able to re-take the facility from the ghouls. There in the compound they lived many years of playing chess and arguing about Aunt Alicia's cookies and Logan was able to create a family of sorts, the kind he never had before, after training many more ghouls to behave themselves. Of course, one day, Logan decided to leave the compound with his new friends for good -- but, as they say, that's a story for another day...

j.p.
    Now that is some funny shit, especially the Aunt Alicia reference

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    JD... you're a genius. But personally, I think Logan was just a slow riser. If yours or my answer here is wrong, then... I don't know what it could be.