Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe Pilato as Stephen in "Dawn of the Dead"?

United States

Joe Pilato as Stephen in "Dawn of the Dead"?

I recently saw an interview with The Joe Pilato in which he mentions that he originally read for the part of Stephen. This made me grin just thinking about it, in how different of a film/dynamic "DAWN" would have been with Pilato in the role.

I think Pilato is a fine actor, and it's a damn shame that he hasn't really had any roles worth mentioning really other than Rhodes (Is he SAG? Why does the man not act more?). One of my favorite things about "DAY" (as my favorite horror flick ever made) is Pilato as Rhodes in the flick.

Anyway, I started thinking about how different of a flick "DAWN" would be with him in this lead role. I honestly would have been interested in seeing how the flick would have turned out with him in the role. Personally, I think he's a bit too intense to have pulled it off as well as Emge, who I think did fantastic in the role.

If he had, who would have played Rhodes in "DAY" other than him? Eh, I'd have to throw in a vote for David Carradine...

Anyway, thoughts?

j.p.

Edit: Here's a link to said interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyYlPluteyA&NR=1
    Last edited by JDFP; 10-Feb-2010 at 11:57 PM.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    I recently saw an interview with The Joe Pilato in which he mentions that he originally read for the part of Stephen. This made me grin just thinking about it, in how different of a film/dynamic "DAWN" would have been with Pilato in the role.

I think Pilato is a fine actor, and it's a damn shame that he hasn't really had any roles worth mentioning really other than Rhodes (Is he SAG? Why does the man not act more?). One of my favorite things about "DAY" (as my favorite horror flick ever made) is Pilato as Rhodes in the flick.

Anyway, I started thinking about how different of a flick "DAWN" would be with him in this lead role. I honestly would have been interested in seeing how the flick would have turned out with him in the role. Personally, I think he's a bit too intense to have pulled it off as well as Emge, who I think did fantastic in the role.

If he had, who would have played Rhodes in "DAY" other than him? Eh, I'd have to throw in a vote for David Carradine...

Anyway, thoughts?

j.p.
    Pilato is a member of SAG. He and several other cast members from DAY have been appealing to SAG for a long time to help them with residuals from the film. I don't know all of the details, but they claim that the producers pretty much shafted them on that. Again, I don't know all of the story...yet.
    I spoke to Joe Monday evening and he said that he should have never left Pittsburgh for LA. I think he probably would have done a lot of theater work here in the 'Burgh and then could have done films whenever they came to town.
    As for him playing Flyboy, I think he would have done a pretty good job. However, nobody could play Rhodes like Pilato did...nobody. Rhodes is easily the best character that Romero ever created.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Rhodes is a great character, but Pilato as Stephen... I just don't see it.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    as for him playing flyboy, i think he would have done a pretty good job. However, nobody could play rhodes like pilato did...nobody. rhodes is easily the best character that romero ever created.
    +1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Apparently Pilato was offered the part of Rhodes only because the budget was slashed, implying that they would have gone for a more established or even a name actor if they'd shot the original script with a full budget. So what actor do you see playing Rhodes in the "big" Day?

England
    Michael Ironside.

Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Michael Ironside.
    Hell yes! I can totally see that.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Michael Ironside.

Haha, yeah!

I also think Christopher Walken would put a unique spin on Rhodes.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Joe as rhodes is untouchable really, a great character that stands the test of time.

I wish more came of Joe's career, he's a cool mofo.

I'd love to write a completely new horror movie then get all of Romero's old buddies back on screen including Emge, Pilato, Reineger, Gaylen Ross, Warner Shook, John Amplas, all those cats...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    I'd love to write a completely new horror movie then get all of Romero's old buddies back on screen including Emge, Pilato, Reineger, Gaylen Ross, Warner Shook, John Amplas, all those cats...
    Warner Shook, that's a name I haven't heard in a while. Didn't he win the Pullitzer Prize for a play he wrote some time ago?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I also think Christopher Walken would put a unique spin on Rhodes.
    haha....thinking of Rhodes' dialogue through Walken's speech patterns is hilarious.

"Im.....running this monkey farm.....now.....Frankenstein"

United States
    Apparently Pilato was offered the part of Rhodes only because the budget was slashed, implying that they would have gone for a more established or even a name actor if they'd shot the original script with a full budget. So what actor do you see playing Rhodes in the "big" Day?
    I've never heard that Pilato was offered the role because the budget was cut. Up until LAND, Romero always preferred unknowns for the zombie films. Back in those days, what name actor would have done a Romero zombie film? I've had an actor who worked with Romero many times tell me that the acting community they are in looks down on those films because of the subject matter. I can't see anyway that a name actor was ever considered for the Rhodes character.
    The budget for the original script was larger because of the scope of the film and the large amount of effects, so they still could not have afforded a name actor even if they had wanted to.
    Hey Kraken, where did you read that?
    Last edited by thxleo; 11-Feb-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    I've never heard that Pilato was offered the role because the budget was cut. Up until LAND, Romero always preferred unknowns for the zombie films. Back in those days, what name actor would have done a Romero zombie film? I've had an actor who worked with Romero many times tell me that the acting community they are in looks down on those films because of the subject matter. I can't see anyway that a name actor was ever considered for the Rhodes character.
    The budget for the original script was larger because of the scope of the film and the large amount of effects, so they still could not have afforded a name actor even if they had wanted to.
    By "name actor", I was referring more to someone who had an established past in the industry, like his casting of Kenneth Welsh and Richard Fitzpatrick in Survival; accomplished screen actors but not neccessarily "stars" like John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper. The gist of Pilato's comments were that Rubenstein and co. wanted to stick to semi-professional actors whom they could get away with shafting over wages etc.

I'll try and find the interview if it's online, although it might have been something he told at the Dawn/Day screening in Glasgow I was at.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 11-Feb-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    I think Pilato was the right actor at the right time, when it came to Day and I'd like to see him in more projects just out of a sense of morbid curiosity as to how well he would do, and whether he'd carry that over the top bombast which he brought to (and so truly complimented) Day.

I don't think of him as a good actor, but, admittedly, my exposure to him has been very limited. I'd like to see some more range from him though, but, conversely, suspect he'd be a great character actor. Looking at his IMDB page, I didn't see too many movies I knew too well where he didn't have a bit part, can anyone recommend any movies other than Day to give me a good look at his acting chops?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    By "name actor", I was referring more to someone who had an established past in the industry, like his casting of Kenneth Welsh and Richard Fitzpatrick in Survival; accomplished screen actors but not neccessarily "stars" like John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper. The gist of Pilato's comments were that Rubenstein and co. wanted to stick to semi-professional actors whom they could get away with shafting over wages etc.

I'll try and find the interview if it's online, although it might have been something he told at the Dawn/Day screening in Glasgow I was at.
    Things are different nowadays. You can get someone with a little more on their resume to do these type of films.
    Again though, the original script was going to have a much more expensive production design, especially dealing with the Florida locations. Not only that, but there were more characters, which would have meant more actors of course. Add even more effects on top of that. So, I don't know...interesting accusation by Pilato though!