Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: here's some crappy news...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

here's some crappy news...

syfy is reporting that romero has been unable to get anyone to release "survival" in the US even on DVD. looks like the DVD has a 15 Mar release date in the UK but so far no one wants to release it here.

So, in a world in which Zombieland grosses $75 million in the U.S. alone and zombie-themed video games generate entire industries, when the animated Resident Evil: Degeneration gets a pretty healthy release on DVD and Blu-ray, why can't George Romero, the guy who created the apocalyptic flesh-eating zombie genre in 1968 with his Night of the Living Dead, not even get a DVD release in the U.S. for his latest zombie movie, Survival of the Dead?

According to Dread Central, a DVD release of Romero's Survival of the Dead is available for pre-order in the U.K., with a street date of March 15, 2010. This is a neck-chomping bummer for fans in the U.S. Given all the truly wretched, eye-meltingly bad movies that go right to DVD, isn't Romero worthy of at least that kind of release here on these shores?

As we reported in July, Survival of the Dead (which premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival) concerns people who try to keep their recently deceased loved ones at home so they can lead some sort of normal "lives" until a cure for the zombie infection can be found. Given Romero's talent for social satire, this looks pretty tasty to us.

Given Romero's fan base, wouldn't even a no-frills DVD release of Survival of the Dead be worthwhile?

i'm just passing on the article here folks.
    Last edited by Mike70; 13-Dec-2009 at 02:55 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I'll get to see it anyway, but looking at the big picture here... this is bad. I have a serious concern that this might be the last film we see from Mr. Romero.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I'll get to see it anyway, but looking at the big picture here... this is bad. I have a serious concern that this might be the last film we see from Mr. Romero.
    'tis a bummer but i am hopeful that someone will realize that they can make a buck off it and will release it.

though i'll probably get my hands on a copy after the UK release anyway.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just can't see this film NOT getting a dvd release. Someone will put it out eventually. Whoever does put it out will probably make him name it Night of the Living Dead 2, though.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Day should of been the last film we saw from Mr. Romero anyway.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Day should of been the last film we saw from Mr. Romero anyway.
    Nah man, Dark Half was quality.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I just can't see this film NOT getting a dvd release. Someone will put it out eventually. Whoever does put it out will probably make him name it Night of the Living Dead 2, though.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 13-Dec-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    ^^^ LOL "teeth in the night" haha

This is worrying but for me it's just further proof that Romero needs to DROP the zombie thing, and go make other movies. Christ do it under a pseudynom (sic) if he can't get funding, just start over or something. ANYTHING.
    But I think he needs to remove himself from the shambling dead stories now, because they HAVE run their course, at least for Romero.

The bottom line is, a distributor is going to assess the merits of that movie independantly from fan-fare - and if they're watching this and saying its not as good as Diary, there is definitely a problem.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States

?!?!?!?!

Let's see, instead of making a few bucks off of it here at least, we're going to make sure the only place it gets released is the UK, which essentially means the rest of the world is probably going to pirate it for free...

Bad tidings & a bad sign in general.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    ^^^ LOL "teeth in the night" haha
    LOL I know, it made me laugh too:

Quote Originally Posted by George A. Romero on Land of the Dead
    Initially Fox wanted to call it Night of the Living Dead. I'm like, 'I've already made that movie...twice!' [laughs] So they wanted to do a colon title. Night of the Living Dead...teeth in the night or something like that. [laughs] Then we ran into problems with the title, you could blame Fox for that, we resolved that. But then we got another offer, the check was on the table.
    http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_1216.html

Canada
    this is some sad news. i should have went to see in in Toronto when i had the chance. i am sue we will see a dvd release for it down the road but damn i feel bad for poor george. i really hope he makes at least one more film but i would like to see him team with KING,and ARGENTO to do a film before it is to late.
    we keep it real gangsta down here in canada. ehh

United States
    I bet it'll make it out, I just know it.
    It's gotta.
    I bet it'd sell good here. I know I'd buy one.

ViP

United States
    I'll pick up the UK DVD. It'll probably be one of the last DVDs I ever buy. I don't think I am PAL capable on Blu-ray. Direct to DVD zombie films, man that is a bad place for George to be. I used to dream of him picking up the Dawn story again, but now that scares the shit out of me. I'm guessing that Survival is a turd, but you'd figure a smaller house would pick up the flick. I'm sure there are several small bids in for the film, but they are holding out for more caishe.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i'd feel bad but the number of times we get fucked over with release dates, or ,yknow, ever getting some films im not really feeling that sorry for you

United States
    The Italians should start making some zombie films again.