Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NOTLD... what would you change...

United States

NOTLD... what would you change...

I was just wondering what people would change from NOTLD... I know someone has already done a remake but I was wondering what people would personally change if they were to head up a remake...

Personally I'd like to see a home in a much more populated area (more reminiscent of Dawn 04) and in addition to that I think much more action is a necessity (what can I say I love gore)...

I think they could also stand to elaborate on town scenes for instance Ben in town... the diner thing...

And there's plenty of places where cemetaries are right in the thick of town (aside from my myspace cemetary pictures I dont think there's any other cemetaries in charleston)... so I'd really enjoy seeing a city and the residents reaction to a zombie walking about even if they're only going to follow one group of survivors (would make an excellent extra for the DVD to show what happens to other people once they see the zombies in the cemetary... dvds seldom have enough extra footage)... a perfect place for that would be Hudson, Ohio... granted the cemetaries near the town green are from the early 1900s there's tons of outlying cemetaries all around and huge massive properties that no doubt (and I mean nooooo doubt) have private cemetary spaces for the families who own the homes. Top that off with Western Reserve Academy being in the center of town (would make a great place to hide) and there's churches, restaurants, homes... all facing the town green and just a stones throw from the old cemetary and a brief 2 minute ride to about 10 others...

To kinda update the characters without changing them entirely I'd like to see a domineering wife and her daughter and husband who's totally owned by his wife. I'd like to see Barbara as being a younger lady as well... she always seemed to me to be awfully inept for a woman who i'm guessing was around 30ish at the time of the notld movies.

And for a juicy dvd extra I want to know what happens to the other characters and change the way in which everyone dies. Perhaps instead of the young daughter being a zombie it could be the wuss husband.

Just a few of my thoughts...
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I would have liked to see them work together and atleast try to put a coherent strategy together. But, i guess that's what makes the film, the tension, racial and otherwise, that was present in the house.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'd not make Barbara such a wuzz. Pretty much what Savini did.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    I think they could also stand to elaborate on town scenes for instance Ben in town... the diner thing...

The beekman's diner scene is something fans of the film have been clamoring for years to see. I thought for sure that they were going to do it with NOTLD 90' orNOTLD 30th anniversary. That's only the start of what's wrong with that film though. I guess they alway reserve the right to remake it again at some point and add it then.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    As far as the "more gore" wish goes, I definately wouldnt mind seeing more gore in Night. However, keep in mind that Night was groundbreaking in the extent that it showed any gore at all. Prior to that, most films never showed any actual gore.

I liked the fact the movie was set in an unpopulated area. It showed that even in a rural area, the zombie problem would exist. If they were in a heavily populated area, especially near the outset of the problem,, "help" would be closer at hand, and would have created less tension in the movie.

As far as the cemetary setting goes, we never see in GAR's films long-dead crawling out of their graves. I mean, I would be kind of hard to get out of a closed box buried 6 feet underground, especially with your arms decayed to the point of almost falling off. I wouldnt actually think you would see many zombies in a cemetary. The Bill Hinzman zombie was most likely a dead body who had not been buried yet.

I definately would have liked to see at least a little more effort toward co-operation. I realize that when the sh*t hits the fan, social graces may start to go out the door, however, in the interest of survival, co-operation would seem to be a better path to follow that outright antagonism.

The Beekman diner scene would definately be cool to see, perhaps shown as a flash-back type scene as Ben is describing it to Barbara.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    As far as the "more gore" wish goes, I definately wouldnt mind seeing more gore in Night. However, keep in mind that Night was groundbreaking in the extent that it showed any gore at all. Prior to that, most films never showed any actual gore.
    As far as the cemetary setting goes, we never see in GAR's films long-dead crawling out of their graves. I mean, I would be kind of hard to get out of a closed box buried 6 feet underground, especially with your arms decayed to the point of almost falling off. I wouldnt actually think you would see many zombies in a cemetary. The Bill Hinzman zombie was most likely a dead body who had not been buried yet.
    If you recall, Savini tried to add gore for the remake but he was cut off at the knees. Rumor has it that he was none to happy about it and subsequently was disapointed with the end result. Maybe the ratings board wasn't ready for it at the time.

As for the bodies of the buried dead coming to life, you're right, they doen't come out of the grave. As a matter of fact in the original NOTLD it is explicitly stated that "the bodies of the recently dead are returning to life and committing acts of murder."

United States
    I always felt that a cemetary would be one of the safest places to be during the zombie crisis...especially during the initial stages. Assuming that there were no dead bodies just lying around, there wouldn't be any ghouls to chase you around. Also, would any looters bother with a cemetary??
    As for what I would change in Night, it would be to add the diner scene. It seems like such a cool story, shame it was never actually seen.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Assuming that there were no dead bodies just lying around, there wouldn't be any ghouls to chase you around. Also, would any looters bother with a cemetary??
    That was supposedly Fran's reason for wanting to go way up to canada, It's thought that with the population vastly decreasing as you went further north there would be less undead and thus stand a better chance of survival.

United States
    Actually if I do recall the racism that was felt in the origional NOTLD was never intended... when duane jones read for the part he was simply the best actor for the job...

I forgot... there was this time in Winnipeg when the Red River floods ... one year it flooded so badly that a local cemetary had to dig up the caskets of some of the people buried near the river because of the erosion threatened taking some of the bodies and floating them away... that would be a sweet sight if you had no idea what was going on and of course if dead folk came back would make it easy for them to come outta hiding. heheh
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    Actually if I do recall the racism that was felt in the origional NOTLD was never intended... when duane jones read for the part he was simply the best actor for the job...
    Yes that is what Gar has always claimed. But whether real or percieved it is undeniable that the racial tension was there. Think about this. At the time it was pretty radical casting a black man for the lead of a film. Especially with the racial tension that existed at the time. You would think that would have bothered people and it didn't. You would think that there would be an upraor with ben knocking out a white woman, but for some reason there really wasn't. You also can't deny the irony of a black man surviving that ordeal only to be killed by rednecks. There might not have been a racial component to gar's casting , but whether intended or not it came through loud and clear.

United States
    Being from Michigan, I have been over the river and into Canada many a time. Where is this mystical place of no population that Fran and later, Riley dream about? You have to go WAAAAYYYY into the sticks to encounter a place like that in Canada! It may be devoid of zombies but it's also devoid of food and essential supplies like toilet paper (and toilets for that matter). They wouldn't have lasted a week, especially in the winter.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Being from Michigan, I have been over the river and into Canada many a time. Where is this mystical place of no population that Fran and later, Riley dream about? You have to go WAAAAYYYY into the sticks to encounter a place like that in Canada! It may be devoid of zombies but it's also devoid of food and essential supplies like toilet paper (and toilets for that matter). They wouldn't have lasted a week, especially in the winter.
    That's a good point. However, The situation was very dire. I guess based on what they saw in areas where the population was concentrated they figured that was a risk they were willing to take.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    That's a good point. However, The situation was very dire. I guess based on what they saw in areas where the population was concentrated they figured that was a risk they were willing to take.
    where i live i saskatchewan we have more land mass then alot of countrys and a population of just over a million. with the proper firepower it would be no prob to fight off the zombies that you did see once there.
    we keep it real gangsta down here in canada. ehh

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    At what point does it become just icy tundra up there? Because i think to be relatively safe you would have to go up that far atleast. A million ghouls is still waaaaaay to many.

United States
    90 miles from the us/canadien border above international falls and left lets say 60 kilometres... there's nothing... literally NOTHING... the transcanada highway pretty much is the only highway that goes through there and its only 2 lanes in a good lot of parts... the town where I vacation is in the Whiteshell Provincal Park and its so out in the sticks that you can mail a letter to my name, General Delivery, West Hawk Lake, Manitoba r0e2h0... I mean they dont even need a street address... it would've been a good idea if they flew there because its sparsely populated during winter and not too populated even during summer... the campgrounds have plenty of outhouses for bathrooms and a good lot of the cabins use lake water so provided the cabin has a generator (which a good deal do) you basically have all the essentials... additionally there's tons of hiking trails, ways to travel by water, and because its so out of nowhere you're good to not see a lot of zombies...

its totally gods country