Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: World War Z (film)

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Well, I don't normally join in these conversations so indulge me or just don't read the thread. Simple.
    Wasn't the point of the voodoo zombie to appear dead and therefore had reanimated?
    Which was one of my points, but Ned conveniently ignored that one.

Quote Originally Posted by major jay View Post

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    The only ones who are butthurt in this thread, are the ones taking different viewpoints personally.

WTF?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Well, I don't normally join in these conversations so indulge me or just don't read the thread. Simple.
    Wasn't the point of the voodoo zombie to appear dead and therefore had reanimated?
    So you're saying we get to pick and choose what makes a zombie?

Great, I can live with that.

28 Days Later infected can be classified as zombies with that in mind.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDog View Post
    The only ones who are butthurt in this thread, are the ones taking different viewpoints personally.

WTF?
    Its the internet, opinion is fact, dissent is heresy and taste must be argued to the last.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDog View Post

WTF?
    From the looks of it, the only people who seem butthurt in this thread are the ones who are annoyed at the discussion.

Yeah, it's beating a dead horse, but it's a fun horse to beat. Otherwise we wouldn't be doing it. Stop whining and join in!

Undisclosed
    Although I enjoy shamblers more for obvious reasons, at the end of the day debating which one is 'better' can be pretty pointless.
    To me, when judging a zombie film, it is far more important to judge wether the directing, writing and acting is actually any good than stuff like 'are they ghouls infected, reanimated dead, cannibals, demons, shamblers, sprinters and so on.
    Two of my favourite, (fairly) recent, additions to the genre are The Dead and 28 days later. One features old school shamblers, the other sprinting infected. But both are directed by artists with a vision, working with good to great actors, from a well written script. Is 28 days a zombie film or no? Who cares? It's a great post apocalyptic horror film featuring once human but now turned mindlessly agressive 'tear you apart' enemies.

From what I have seen from World War Z it comes across as a Michael Bay type, mindless action film which is everything the book was striving not to be. What a shame. I love the genre enough to go and check it in the near future but it also wont be in the cinema. Now the Dead 2; there's a film I'm looking forward to way more than mr. Pitts summer blockbuster. I''ll take dread and suspense over KABOoooom, cgi fests any day of the week, thank you very much.
    Last edited by krisvds; 25-Jun-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: .

Ireland
    I'd be with MZ on the zombie thing. To me '28 Days Later' would be placed in the same category as 'The Crazies'. I don't consider the antagonists of either film to be zombies. They're living people infected with a disease that makes them go loopy.

As a general rule, I think the sprinter zombies are a bit silly. The fact that people who are dead, can then run about in a fashion that they couldn't do when they were alive is bloody stupid.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I'd be with MZ on the zombie thing. To me '28 Days Later' would be placed in the same category as 'The Crazies'. I don't consider the antagonists of either film to be zombies. They're living people infected with a disease that makes them go loopy.

As a general rule, I think the sprinter zombies are a bit silly. The fact that people who are dead, can then run about in a fashion that they couldn't do when they were alive is bloody stupid.
    Good mention on The Crazies (either version) - I too would place it side-by-side (but for slightly different reasons) with 28 Days Later. The Crazies, while not 'post apocalyptic', does have that sense of community panic, and most importantly - the issue of viral infection of living people.

At least in WWZ they aren't (raptor screaming?) decaying in seconds-flat and crawling on the ceiling!

Day08 was the biggest sleighting of the zombie genre ... perhaps ever (then again, there was Craptagium). Christ it was bad!

Administrator

England
    How did zombies crawling on the ceiling ever make it to the screen? Seriously?!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    How did zombies crawling on the ceiling ever make it to the screen? Seriously?!
    Yup, In the absence of talent and therefore a decent script rely on gimmicky twaddle!
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Ireland
    It's absolutely bloody absurd isn't it.

Something a human being couldn't possibly do in life, they can magically do in death.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    At least in WWZ they aren't (raptor screaming?) decaying in seconds-flat and crawling on the ceiling!
    Well...

The DAY08 zombies and WWZ zombies are quite similar... The time from bite to full on zombification is a matter of seconds, and they are instantly super athletic with gravity defying skills & rubber bones.... They have the same raptor like vocalisation... No ceiling crawling, but climbing the wall at Jerusalem was pretty close...

Though largely crap, I thought Day08 had some okay bits - the gore was nice in places... but what WWZ (uniquely?) has is the sheer scale... It's no GAR or TWD classic, but I'm going to see it again this week... But then the cinema's only 5 mins from work.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm so in love with this thread. It's the Dawn(04)/Land days all over again. Don't ever change, guys.

Administrator

England
    Zombie checklist:-
    - Instant bad skin? - Check
    - Instant buck teeth? - Check
    - Instant dino roar? - Check

Hollywood strikes again... *sigh*

As stated in a previously link review, absolutely nothing we haven't seen done far better before... A couple of redeeming moments, but generally very forgettable shakey cam stuff - 5/10.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I plan on seeing it again once it makes it to the cheap theaters, or unless there's nothing else left to see full price in the super near future.
    Thinking about it, alot of stuff happened wayyy too fast, and occasionally I'd turn my head away and my kid would say, "Whoa, you just totally missed that!!!"
    I yelled "rewind, rewind!!!" to the little window at the back up top, to no avail...
    I will be buying this when it comes out. Hopefully they'll have the original ending I read about as an extra, something about a huge battle in Moscow?
    Like I said before, I liked it. It making some killer dinero can only help bring other zombie flicks to life. Yeah, we'll have to sift through alot of shit to get to the good stuff, but oh wellz...