Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: "Rise of the Apes" - Planet of the Apes prequel

United States
    Went and saw Rise of the Apes this morning. Story was decent, computer generated special effects looked excellent. Will wait to discuss the plot and other spoiler materials until the UK members get a chance to see the film next week.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    I didn't think it looked all that bad.

Screw it...If none of ya'll will watch it then I will

United States
    We will probably see it today. I was wanting The Change Up, because of my unhealthy infatuation with Jason Bateman since even the Silver Spoon/It's Your Move days, but I'm sure I'm going to be outvoted by the rest of my family.
    It does look good, so I doubt I'll be disappointed.
    Damned, dirty apes!!!

Super Moderator

Germany
    Saw it this afternoon. Great flick. Opened a way to do a full on remake of the original. Nice.

England
    Oh man. What a superb movie.
    I don't know what the plans are for the franchise but if they continue making movies like this we are in for a treat. CGI has gotten to the stage now where it looks real to me. Loved all the nods to Planet as well.
    Great movie.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Had a chance to see it earlier today. Overall I'd give it a 2.5 out of 5. It was slightly better than I thought it would be.

Positives: It didn't completely suck but I wouldn't watch it again. John Lithgow is always entertaining to watch but unfortunately only had a very minor role. It was an interesting take on the whole thing and the storyline was somewhat reasonable believable as a "could happen" situation.

Negatives: Terrible CGI (like most films that rely heavily on it) that just didn't seem realistic to me at all and is a step back from models/make-up/etc. if you ask me. There were a few moments of apes running that looked just absolutely terrible to me and not realistic in the least bit. Also, a few plot points seemed quite contrived and nonsensical to me. But, it is a film about apes taking over the world so you get what you expect.

I'd call Tim Burton's version slightly better just for the make-up and futuristic feel to it but not by much. Of course, none of them will compare to the original.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 07-Aug-2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: aye
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Had a chance to see it earlier today. Overall I'd give it a 2.5 out of 5. It was slightly better than I thought it would be.

Positives: It didn't completely suck but I wouldn't watch it again. John Lithgow is always entertaining to watch but unfortunately only had a very minor role. It was an interesting take on the whole thing and the storyline was somewhat reasonable believable as a "could happen" situation.

Negatives: Terrible CGI (like most films that rely heavily on it) that just didn't seem realistic to me at all and is a step back from models/make-up/etc. if you ask me. There were a few moments of apes running that looked just absolutely terrible to me and not realistic in the least bit. Also, a few plot points seemed quite contrived and nonsensical to me. But, it is a film about apes taking over the world so you get what you expect.

I'd call Tim Burton's version slightly better just for the make-up and futuristic feel to it but not by much. Of course, none of them will compare to the original.

j.p.
    Amazing isn't it? How people can have such different opinions.
    Im gonna predict that this thread will get quite heated in the near future.

MY HOME CINEMA

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    Dearest Felon#311 you got some bad info regarding your 14 April post (where is the asshat smiley?) speaking of regarding
    why do not the "unspoken rules" of spoilering apply to you?

Anyone else revealing what you did in your August 5th post would have had the whole forum pulled over their ears down to their tits
    effectively smothering them (this means EDIT YOUR POST).

EDIT YOUR POST UNCLE

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Would the troll like to point out what the spoiler was? Everything looks kosher to me.

Enjoy what i'm sure will be a very limited stay at HPotD...
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Aug-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: .

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Would the troll like to point out what the spoiler was? Everything looks kosher to me.

Enjoy what i'm sure will be a very limited stay at HPotD...
    Who is this dick?
    Another bitter and angry drunk?

MY HOME CINEMA

Undisclosed
    After seeing the reviews at Rotten Tomatoes, I might just give it a chance tonight.

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    Felon#311
    You gave away 4 parts of the movie in your first cut and paste August 5th quote.

Enjoy my short stay?

I got my notifications for you,...yea old hall monitor who rolls around looking to report people.

Say you don't do it and be proved a bold liar.
    I will post screenshot of you reporting posts to the forum police from the active users what are they doing/reading sub-forum.
    FINK.RAT.SQUEALER
    Once again edit the first paragraph of your cut and paste AUG. 5th
    That is all governor.

United States
    Rise the CGI apes. The world is doomed.

United States
    Attached Images

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Price View Post
    Felon#311
    You gave away 4 parts of the movie in your first cut and paste August 5th quote.
    I haven't seen the movie. Kinda hard to knowingly give out spoilers to something you haven't seen. If something I said was accidentally spoiled, it was already spoiled in the advertising or reviews that were previously linked.

And if for some reason you did "catch me" making a report, it was most likely a very rude person such as yourself. The kind that only want to stir up trouble rather than participate in a friendly manner. That's also what I meant by 'enjoy your short stay'. Keep up your trolling and the mods are sure to give you the proper treatment.
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Aug-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: .