Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Romero is unimportant now.

Undisclosed

Romero is unimportant now.

I hate to say it, but the industry has passed Romero by. After view Zombieland last night and thinking it was quite entertaining and fresh, despite the use of fast zombies, it was relevant; George Romero is not relevant anymore and his films are hopelessly outdated and struggle to even say anything that would constitute a message. I dare say the last film that George made that was relevant was DAY of the DEAD, in 1985.

I still have some hope for SURVIVAL, but I think it is mostly based on a fondness of his films from 30 years ago.

Hang it up, George.
    "Totally Togepi!"

Banned User

Undisclosed
    fuck relevant. i watch movies for entertainment not for their impact on culture or current popularity.

also are you a producer? why on earth would you refer to an 'industry' when speaking about a film?
    Last edited by octo7; 03-Oct-2009 at 08:18 PM.

Undisclosed
    George is an older guy, with an older guy's sensibilities, so his films might not be as topical as a younger director's. But he's still the man who pretty much invented the Zombie genre, & if he still wants to make Zombie movies I'll certainly go to see 'em.
    'Looks like God left the phone off the hook, huh baby?'

capncnut
    What people don't understand is that Romero would give his left bollock to quit the zombie genre for a while and go make something different. The film company wont let him do it because they know there's more money with Romero's name on a zombie flick.

But yeah, I'll keep watching 'em regardless.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I hate to say it, but the industry has passed Romero by. After view Zombieland last night and thinking it was quite entertaining and fresh, despite the use of fast zombies, it was relevant; George Romero is not relevant anymore and his films are hopelessly outdated and struggle to even say anything that would constitute a message. I dare say the last film that George made that was relevant was DAY of the DEAD, in 1985.

I still have some hope for SURVIVAL, but I think it is mostly based on a fondness of his films from 30 years ago.

Hang it up, George.
    I hate to say it, but I think HPOTD has passed Mikey by. After view his post last night, I dont think Mikey's comments are relevant anymore on a site dedicated to George Romero. Hang it up, Mikey.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    I hate to say it, but I think HPOTD has passed Mikey by. After view his post last night, I dont think Mikey's comments are relevant anymore on a site dedicated to George Romero. Hang it up, Mikey.
    i would at least like to hear some specific examples of why he thinks romero is irrelevant. for example, diary maybe a film that people don't care for but saying it's "irrelevant" doesn't make much sense, considering the film deals with a bunch of issues/themes with are very relevant to today. simply not liking something doesn't render it irrelevant.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    As long as GAR is still sucking it in and blowing it out, he's relevant.
    I have always looked upon decay as being just as wonderful and rich an expression of life as growth~
    Henry Miller

United States
    I think Mikey is entitled to beleive that Romeros
    movies no longer hold any value to him, but
    to say that Romero himself has nothing left
    to offer as a filmaker or as a fore front director
    in the zombie genre isnt up to him.

And odd to praise Day, when it was trashed
    when it came out, and isnt even the script he
    wanted to make.

Also the fact you refer to him as "Romero" and
    not "GAR" tells me u are older or u read magazines
    from when he was refered to as "Romero'. Its now
    usual to refer to him as 'GAR'.

Did you ever stop to think what Romero would
    be able to do with a budget like the one for Zombie Land?
    Give him a $25 million dollar budget and see what he might do.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    yeah i was thinking mikey would have been one of the many nay-sayers who thrashed Day when it was first released.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Daddy View Post
    As long as GAR is still sucking it in and blowing it out, he's relevant.
    Hell yeah!!
    'Looks like God left the phone off the hook, huh baby?'

United States
    I hate to say it, but the industry has passed Romero by. After view Zombieland last night and thinking it was quite entertaining and fresh, despite the use of fast zombies, it was relevant;
    ???

I just got back from seeing it a few hours ago, & while I liked it, other than the pop culture references I would actually call it IRRELEVANT. It's light & fluffy, which is fine, as it's not really trying to be anything deeper. Comparing the two is definitely apples and oranges. GAR's last couple may have been flawed, but to conclude he's irrelevant compared to "Zombieland"? I just don't see it...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombo View Post
    Hell yeah!!

Testify!
    I have always looked upon decay as being just as wonderful and rich an expression of life as growth~
    Henry Miller

United States
    I hate to say it, but the industry has passed Romero by.
    Na. GAR has always bucked the system. His way or no way. He had to sit it out for a while, but he is back and just as relevant as ever.

-stray-

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I hate to say it, but the industry has passed Romero by.
    I think he's cool with that considering that he's tried to distance himself from it....

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Depends on the importance you put on relevance....See it seems for years we all used to say how Dawn and Day and Night were relevant to their times, a socio-political commentary based on real life attitudes...

When Diary came out it was such an obvious realisation of this that it almost became moot - it beat us up with relevance!

It really depends on what you mean by relevant though? I'm not clear on that. Movies are entertainment after all and Diary taught most of us that a painfully obvious social commentary in the name of relevance can be a bad thing (if you don't like Diary that is!)
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.