Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: army/marines accepting more felons...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

army/marines accepting more felons...

which isn't really surprising considering you'd have to be out of your f*cking mind to join the military under the present circumstances.

i think that even more people with felony backgrounds will be accepted into the military in the near future. the main reason being that a draft just isn't going to happen. i am a veteran myself and a draft is something that i am ultra opposed to. in fact, the very idea of the govt. actually being able to force people into military service who don't want to be there is something that i reject completely.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...tory?track=rss
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

ViP

United States
    I have always thought that people in prison should be used as soldiers, but not pedophiles and certain behavioral types, but definitely all white collar criminals.

As for the draft, it should have never gone away. It became unpopular during the Vietnam era for obvious reasons, but weak politicians folded under pressure and got rid of something that was the backbone of our country since the get go.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Anyone who is for conscription is opposed to the idea of freedom and liberty. Plain and simple.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    As for the draft, it should have never gone away.

why should anyone be forced into the military that doesn't want to be there? i see no sense nor moral reason in conscription at all. the govt. has absolutely no right to force young people into situations where they might have to kill other people. none whatsoever.

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post

why should anyone be forced into the military that doesn't want to be there? i see no sense nor moral reason in conscription at all. the govt. has absolutely no right to force young people into situations where they might have to kill other people. none whatsoever.
    Because freedom isn't free.

Without a draft we run into the problem we have now. I don't approve of folks staying for extended periods of time with no reinforcements on the way, or having the National Guard over there. With a draft, you do your two years and get out.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

As for the draft, it should have never gone away.
    that just plain is a bad idea, you could have someone just not made for the military out there defending your right to sit at home in an easy chair and theres no guarantee they will be made of the right stuff, god knows i wouldn't be, and im not saying they should be felt sorry for, but rather your forcing people who are much more likely to fail at defending your country defending it.

not a smart idea by any means.

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    that just plain is a bad idea, you could have someone just not made for the military out there defending your right to sit at home in an easy chair and theres no guarantee they will be made of the right stuff, god knows i wouldn't be, and im not saying they should be felt sorry for, but rather your forcing people who are much more likely to fail at defending your country defending it.

not a smart idea by any means.
    My father-in-law was refused for Vietnam because he had a bad knee and he was overweight. They don't accept everyone, just the ones they deem capable.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

Without a draft we run into the problem we have now. I don't approve of folks staying for extended periods of time with no reinforcements on the way, or having the National Guard over there. With a draft, you do your two years and get out.
    that is a cliche, pure and simple. freedom ought to be free and maybe if people worldwide refused to be drafted into armies and fight/kill because politicians say it is some "duty" that they owe, the world would be a far better place.

i don't "owe" the govt. anything - it owes me. we aren't here to serve the country, it ought to be here to serve us.

no one should be forced into a situation against their will where they might have to kill other people. that is morally reprehensible as far as i am concerned.

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    no one should be forced into a situation against their will where they might have to kill other people. that is morally reprehensible as far as i am concerned.
    I didn't disagree with this. According to the selective service...

A conscientious objector is one who is opposed to serving in the armed forces and/or bearing arms on the grounds of moral or religious principles.
    Beliefs which qualify a registrant for CO status may be religious in nature, but don't have to be. Beliefs may be moral or ethical; however, a man's reasons for not wanting to participate in a war must not be based on politics, expediency, or self-interest. In general, the man's lifestyle prior to making his claim must reflect his current claims.

I am opposed to the draft being reinstated. It is gone and really cannot be brought back because of the precedent that was set by our governing bodies. If it had stayed in effect, we could have tweaked it and made it more fair. In stead, our volunteer only force must stay in combat scenarios for way too long. One day, our volunteer military could be rendered insignificant and we'd have to resort to more dratic tactics that no one would approve of.

Freedom is not free Scipio. Efforts and sacrifices were made to attain it, and now we must fight to continue it.

You are correct though, freedom ought to be free, I totally agree with that. Unfortunately we don't live in a vacuum.

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    Neither is Freedom purchased with slavery. Freedom is bought with the blood of the free willingly given. Conscription is against our founding principals.

M_
    "I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence." William F. Buckley, Jr.

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Neither is Freedom purchased with slavery. Freedom is bought with the blood of the free willingly given. Conscription is against our founding principals.

M_
    It has been deemed constitutional by the Supreme Court and lower appellates.

United States
    It's nice to live in a country where we don't actually have to risk our own asses for all the rights and freedoms we enjoy.

It seems everyone wants all these things just handed, but balks at the idea of actually doing something to earn them. If it weren't for the government in place, backed by the military, everyone would be in a "fend for yourself" position against anyone and everyone. How long do you think those "automatic" rights would hold up then? I give it 5 minutes, before someone moves in an attempts to subjugate you (or outright kill you).

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    It seems everyone wants all these things just handed, but balks at the idea of actually doing something to earn them.
    Do the freeloaders include all the homosexuals wishing to serve their country, but aren't allowed? God Bless America!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    It has been deemed constitutional by the Supreme Court and lower appellates.
    So you don't like thinking for yourself, then?

No matter what the Supreme Court says. It's slavery, pure and simple. And you know what the Supreme Court said about slavery?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Without a draft we run into the problem we have now.
    Uh! You mean the problem we have right now of people that are WILLING to take the chance are actually dying? So you think that it should be a mixture of people willing to die and people that don't want any part in it? I don't agree with that at all.

But, to each their own.