Thread: Mouse mat for infra-red mouse?

Super Moderator

UK

Question Mouse mat for infra-red mouse?

Obviously an optical mouse is no good on a glass computer table, so I nabbed the nearest mouse mat to hand (came free with Total Film - it's a Quantum of Solace one), but I've noticed the mouse cursor doesn't respond as well as it used to.

I remember hearing something about optical mouses having trouble when they moved over black surfaces.

The mouse pad we're using at the moment basically looks like this:

So sometimes the cursor will have a mind of it's own, or it will move inconsistently.

The question is - can any of my zed headed cohorts here recommend me a good mouse pad for an optical mouse?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

wait for it, dont tell him.

dammit i cant hold it any longer!!!!!

best.mousemat.ever.

cant remember what site its on, maybe cafepress, but i highly expect the sheer level of awesome makes it a better mousepad.

-also, sounds like your mouse mats a crappy one thats deflecting the red beam, OR you just need to clean the lens on the mouse.
    Last edited by Danny; 26-Jul-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Christmas Island
    You could try making your own:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/405337...made_mousepad/

Every commercial mousepad I've ever bought has turned to junk usually with the edges peeling off. Forget that movie tie in shit and make your own, either from the vid or something more creative.

United States
    I have an all black felt/rubber w/ a laser mouse & it works perfectly, so I don't think black is your problem. Maybe the material it's made of ?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I have an all black felt/rubber w/ a laser mouse & it works perfectly, so I don't think black is your problem. Maybe the material it's made of ?
    Interesting you should say that, I have used an optical mouse on an all-black pad before, and I immediately noticed slow-down - the mouse wasn't as sensitive as it was on light surfaces, so I figured the laser was getting consumed or something by the black.

In this mouse pad's case, the mix of light and dark is confusing it.

Was just wondering if there were specific mouse pads designed for such mouses or whatever...

Norway
    I have a mousmat made out of old car tires its going to last for my entire life.

England
    I gave up using mouse mats for my optical mouse as anything with a bumpy or reflective surface seems to cause problems,im sure there are some tailored to the task somewhere though!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I gave up using mouse mats for my optical mouse as anything with a bumpy or reflective surface seems to cause problems,im sure there are some tailored to the task somewhere though!
    Indeed, like I don't use one on my rigs as my desk is made out of wood, but my folks simply had to get one of these glass computer desks - so it's just covered in visible dust and finger prints, but the laser just shoots right through the glass, so for the first time in frickin' years I've needed a mouse pad - it feels like I'm back in the 90s or something.

Australia
    I have my Optical mouse on a black hard plastic mouse pad, works great!

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    best.mousemat.ever.

hellsing.......... I LOVE IT! I want one!!!!!!!!!! Rick Astley is the bomb!
    zombies
    eat flesh.

Undisclosed
    I stuck down a plain white sheet of copy or printer paper for mine when I had a glas desktop...that did the job and was cost effective...

Scotland
    I got my current one free with the Warcraft online collectors edition, the picture is flaking off a bit now but it is still the best mat I have had for an optical/laser mouse.

Here is an alternative:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/960246...k/Product.html

I think it is the same as mine as in it is almost paper thin with a sticky back so you can stick it down like a....sticker (also peels off easy too to re-adjust).

Might buy this one for meself also.
    Last edited by LoSTBoY; 30-Jul-2009 at 01:41 PM.