Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: To Refuel or NOT to Refule?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

To Refuel or NOT to Refule?

I was watching Day of the Dead the other day and in the begining of the film there's an interesting scenario. After they get back from yet another "field trip" The helicopter is running on empty. Right there a pivotal decision has to be made: To refuel now or wait until dark. I've always been a refuel now kinda guy.

John says, "gas up the machine, she's down to fumes". Sarah counters, "do it tonight when they can't see you".

Now, Sarah says, "the activity excites them, there are too many of them." I take her point. It's like dangling red meat in front of a lion. The shamblers are generally a weak bunch but as we all have seen when there's a potential meal right in front of them the get this burst of energy and appear quite strong. I guess she was wary of them busting through the gate but that could easily have happened anyway. I don't really see the downside of refueling.

We saw in Dawn that even though the ghouls couldn't see our heroes they were constantly clawing at the gates so they would be agitated regardless. Peter posits that they're after the place which i don't agree with. That might be true but it wasn't the reason that they were that active imo. When they first got there they ghouls were drawn there by something other than food ( the place ) as they appeared very calm going about their business. However, as soon as they were aware of there human presence inside they became riled up.

John says, " what good is it to leave the gas tank empty... what if we have to get out in a hurry"? Which is true. If they had to leave quickly as they did at the end they'd be, as Sarah put it, " sh8t out of luck" and almost were. I bet when they were making their run for it she was wishing she had let them refuel it. If you recall they weren't sure if it had gotten done and as we all know those soldiers weren't exactly the most responsible group around.

So what do you guys think? Refuel now or later?
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    refuel. they know there is human carpaccio available at that location anyway. they just saw the helicopter land for fu*ks sake. they saw everyone get out, grab their stuff and head towards the ramp.

so how much more riled up could they get after that much activity anyway?
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Definitely refuel then. Just don't let Miguel do it, because he's a world-class screwup. He'd probably dump water in the tank.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Definitely refuel then. Just don't let Miguel do it, because he's a world-class screwup. He'd probably dump water in the tank.
    I think we can all agree that whoever refuels should be smoking a joint while doing so as the soldiers they first met up with were.
    Last edited by darth los; 28-Aug-2008 at 08:16 PM.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Refuel now of course. You don't have to be Mr. Spock to see the logic in that!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Refuel now! You never know what could happen before nightfall. You might need to make a speedy escape before dusk even comes.

Canada
    Refuel now, better to be safe than sorry,
    as for Sarah saying do it at night so they
    can't see you and get aggitated. Don't think
    it mattered, night or day, they could smell their
    pray I'm sure and the zombies seem to know that
    if there are a few zombies banging to get into
    some house, mall or underground facility, then
    there must be food inside.
    Their going to be aggitated anyways, refuel now

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So far there seems to be a consensus on the fuel now choice. It's puzzling because Sarah is a scientist. Why would she want to do that? Could it be over analyzing the sitation, as scientists are known to do? If anyone feels that refueling later is the better option, even if it's to play devil's advocate, i'd love to hear em' defend the position.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I think we can all agree that whoever refuel should be smoking a joint while doing so as the soldiers they first met up with were.

that's a great one. aviation fuel, dope and flames usually go sooo well together.

i love it. given an accident their problem of where to go would be solved.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    And Frankenstein would have plenty of new Specimens to play with. Or atleast feed to Bub.

Canada
    So far there seems to be a consensus on the fuel now choice. It's puzzling because Sarah is a scientist. Why would she want to do that? Could it be over analyzing the sitation, as scientists are known to do? If anyone feels that refueling later is the better option, even if it's to play devil's advocate, i'd love to hear em' defend the position.
    How about just cause Sarah was being a B**ch
    She told them not to fill the tanks because she wanted
    to fill her head up on an ego trip.

Course little did she know the men were too
    stoned to even realize what she was saying anyways.

I bet it was John who refueled the chopper,
    he was probably saying to himself,
    "Ain't no way am I getting stuck here man"

ViP

United States
    Walk over to the fence with a spear, stab all of the zombies in the forehead, then refuel.

Christmas Island
    Refuel, pronto. Cuts down on water condensing in the tank and refueling at night would mean using lights which would agitate the buttmunchers anyway, so refuel that bird.

It's very puzzling. She was a scientist but probably knew nothing about aviation, even at the theoretical level. I don't know where she came off ordering John not to refuel the chopper. That's like her telling the soldiers how to clean their guns.
    Last edited by MaximusIncredulous; 28-Aug-2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    They should've refueled right away.

United States
    Maybe they were just being nice "listening" to her. I always imagined one of them going right back out to refuel it shortly afterwards. I sure would have!