Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slightly creepy experience last night

Twitching

Undisclosed

Slightly creepy experience last night

Last night I got off work later than usual, and was walking home from the Metro (subway) station long after dark. I was walking along a well-lit path that runs between the train tracks and a small wooded area, when suddenly there was a blinding flash on the horizon to the northeast and all the lights went out. Washington, DC is about 8 miles to my northeast. For a split second, I had to fight down the thought that the flash was a nuclear blast and the lights had been put out by the EMP. Of course, it was quickly obvious that the flash wasn't nearly as blinding as it had seemed at first (probably a blown transformer), not ALL the lights were out, etc., but just the idea provided quite a chill for a couple seconds at least.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    California is only 8 miles from Washington DC? Damn.

Super Moderator

Germany
    He found a shortcut.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    California is only 8 miles from Washington DC? Damn.
    Transwarp Conduit,
    FTL drive,
    the Jaunt,
    transporter,

jeez Bass... there are plenty of ways that he could have gotten to D.C. in just a few minutes from California. I would think you would know this, like d'uh man.

j.p.

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Last night I got off work later than usual, and was walking home from the Metro (subway) station long after dark. I was walking along a well-lit path that runs between the train tracks and a small wooded area, when suddenly there was a blinding flash on the horizon to the northeast and all the lights went out. Washington, DC is about 8 miles to my northeast. For a split second, I had to fight down the thought that the flash was a nuclear blast and the lights had been put out by the EMP. Of course, it was quickly obvious that the flash wasn't nearly as blinding as it had seemed at first (probably a blown transformer), not ALL the lights were out, etc., but just the idea provided quite a chill for a couple seconds at least.
    Don't worry, man, being that close to D.C. you'd no doubt go fast with the flash. It's the poor folks in Alexandria, Silver Springs, etc. that you have to feel bad for because they're far enough way to where they won't go fast with the flash but not far enough away to get away from the massive heat that would engulf them and burn them to a crisp -- it would suck to be them.

Of course people outside a 50 mile radius would probably survive the initial detonation but would die from radiation sickness anyway, so probably wouldn't be much better for them anyway.

Yeah, it would suck all around.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    ^

ah, "the jaunt"....a truly amazing short story with an incredibly haunting ending....*shivers*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    ^

ah, "the jaunt"....a truly amazing short story with an incredibly haunting ending....*shivers*
    Agreed 100%. One of my favorite short stories by Steve-O actually. You're right, the ending is truly haunting and it's not an ending that you easily (or ever in my case) forget. Now you've given me nostalgia for his incredible earlier work.

j.p.

United States
    ever read the bachman books, jp? that's probably my favorite collection of king shorts...it's actually more like a handful of novellas, but still a great read. you need to find an old copy, they removed one of his stories after a bunch of school shootings were by kids who praised that particular story. the four stories are:

rage
    road work
    the long walk
    the running man

United States
    ^

I'd like to 2nd that sentiment. That story gave me the creeps. *shudder*

Another possible explanation for this interesting story: wormholes!

United States
    ever read the bachman books, jp? that's probably my favorite collection of king shorts...it's actually more like a handful of novellas, but still a great read. you need to find an old copy, they removed one of his stories after a bunch of school shootings were by kids who praised that particular story. the four stories are:

rage
    road work
    the long walk
    the running man
    I actually have a hard-back copy of "The Bachman Books" with the collected works (sans "Thinner" which is, unfortunately, only available separate from this great work) which I hear is fairly rare. It's one of my prized books that I have and is an excellent collection.

I posted a topic on "The Long Walk" some time ago (I won't re-iterate too much because I'd hate to catch Bassman's ire) but from what I understand Frank Darabont has been discussing making a film adaptation of "The Long Walk" which I would be highly excited to see (not in a Winona Ryder scantily clad type of excited, but excited all the same).

"Rage" is quite striking actually. King has stated that it's the one piece of writing that he's regretted writing over his career. Hopefully, he doesn't have too much inherent guilt regarding Columbine/Paducah/Virginia Tech/etc. regarding writing it as he wasn't the person who actually did the crime (and sick people getting thoughts in their head from media/sources are just sick people).

j.p.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Back in the late 1980s, I was at home with my GF. All of a sudden all the air raid warning in my town started going off... It was the most God-awful-soul-destroying sound I've ever heard. Given this was in the 1980s too, with the cold war in full effect, we assumed the worst and started flicking through TV channels seeing if we did indeed only have a few minute left. Keeping in mind we lived in a town which had the most warheads aimed at if for its size in all of the UK (due to nearby bases)...

It was of course a glitch... But it was horrible!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Back in the late 1980s, I was at home with my GF. All of a sudden all the air raid warning in my town started going off... It was the most God-awful-soul-destroying sound I've ever heard. Given this was in the 1980s too, with the cold war in full effect, we assumed the worst and started flicking through TV channels seeing if we did indeed only have a few minute left. Keeping in mind we lived in a town which had the most warheads aimed at if for its size in all of the UK (due to nearby bases)...

That would definitely be terrifying. You Brits also have that "Protect and Survive" public service announcement thing too, right? I've seen a couple of those on youtube and they are up there with horror films for sheer scary factor. That plus I'll never forget the music on those "Protect and Survive" announcements too -- very 70's music that really stands out and is up there with Morricone for a good scare.

Here in the U.S. we're not fortunate enough to have the "Protect and Survive" PSA's. I suppose our government knows we're all basically screwed anyway if it happens and we'll get a quick "EMERGENCY BROADCASTING SYSTEM" or whatever it's called now (they changed it a few years ago) on the TV and radio before it all goes 'boom'.

j.p.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

That sounds like a hair-raising experience. Reminds me of...

Back in my teens, I picked up a new Agnostic Front album. As soon as I got home I put it on and cranked the volume. My Mom was in the bathroom (which was located next to my room) getting ready to go out. The album starts off with air-raid sirens for about 12 seconds, then goes into raging hardcore. As soon as the music started, my Mom ran into the room screaming "OH MY GOD! TURN THAT OFF! DO YOU HEAR THE SIRENS?!?!" pale as a ghost. Pretty hilarious for me.
    Last edited by MikePizzoff; 16-Nov-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: a

England
    Although I'm sceptical about UFO's, the area I live in has been labelled a UFO hotspot lately so I'm watching the skies nervously when I walk my dogs through the woods at night at the moment There was one summer night years ago that I think I've mentioned on here before when I saw something in the sky that disappeared after a big bright flash and I cant explain what that was.
    I dont tend to worry about nuclear blasts, although I do find it creepy that Russian aircraft capable of carrying nuclear warheads still buzz our coastline on a regular basis before the RAF chase them off again, and there are the remains of cold war nuclear bunkers & outposts all over this area at random places in the countryside

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Although I'm sceptical about UFO's, the area I live in has been labelled a UFO hotspot lately so I'm watching the skies nervously when I walk my dogs through the woods at night at the moment

United States
    I swear I've posted this before, but hey...

Those aren't real problems, Sam.