Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Issues with Dead Rising

Banned User

Undisclosed

Issues with Dead Rising

I was so looking forward to this a couple of years ago but when i finally bought it i just could not get into it. I think its because i find the time limit so restrictive and daunting. Ive only ever got about 3 hours in an ended up quitting in frustration. I never know which 'events' to go to and the fact its possible to lose the whole game if you run out of time just makes it seem like more stress than fun.

should i try again and stick it out?

Administrator

England
    I didn't think you could "lose" at dead rising, if you miss a case you get a different ending sure but most of the acheivements require you to blow the case off and do something else, I found it nice and open personally.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Then maybe i should try not adhering to the schedule. the sense of urgency just freaks me out for some reason.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    They've got so much going on so that the game has great replay value. They don't really expect you to do everything in one run-through. Plus, you don't HAVE to be at the helicopter on the 3rd day.

Super Moderator

UK
    I've only ever done the first two or three missions, and then specifically said "bugger that" so I could just kill zombies and explore. That's all I've done on Dead Rising, but I've played the 3 Day schedule through like 6 times now - just killin' zeds.

Only did the first couple of missions to open up that gate on the left of when you first enter the mall itself (after coming out of the storage room, that in-turn leads to the roof, that in-turn leads to that generator room). Apart from that, screw doing any of those missions - not only are they often too hard or fiddly, but the time limit is retarded, the lack of saving options restricts you unfairly, and the piss-poor gun aiming system is dreadful.

While DR is a flawed game, I've had plenty of use out of it just running around killing zombies.

I'm still looking for the idea zombie game with a full narrative you can play through, however.

Incidentally, I got the entire plot by downloading and watching all the cutscenes off the internet.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    that was good thinking. yeah i HATE the aiming and the fact there are only two savepoints, its too oldskool for this day and age and not in a good way.

Super Moderator

UK
    There's more than two save points, but just the bathrooms around the mall, and the generator room at the start.

That's one issue I hope they sort out in DR2, as well as the weapon aiming, and story mode.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    i started playing it again today and did 3 case missions then died on my way back to the security room before saving my game, 2 hours or so of my life wasted. never again lol

United States
    It's been confirmed that the save system is identical in Dead Rising 2, and I couldn't be happier. I loved the sense of urgency, and making it all the way to the true ending in the original felt like an accomplishment.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    i think developers should be able to come up with far mroe creative ways of creating a challenging game than just giving it an extremely poor save system. especially coming from a company like Capcom.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    It's been confirmed that the save system is identical in Dead Rising 2, and I couldn't be happier. I loved the sense of urgency, and making it all the way to the true ending in the original felt like an accomplishment.
    I agree with coin 100%, you youths of today have no sense of accomplishment at all.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I agree with coin 100%, you youths of today have no sense of accomplishment at all.
    Coming from a dude who's younger than me!

Developers should be producing games that have plenty of modes so that anyone can play their goddamn game, because you know what, it'll mean more people will buy the fucker.

I have to say I'm pissed the save system isn't getting sorted out. It wasn't my biggest issue with the game, but still, LAME-PEE just splashed all over some intarweb-kidz parade out there...

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by octo7 View Post
    i think developers should be able to come up with far mroe creative ways of creating a challenging game than just giving it an extremely poor save system. especially coming from a company like Capcom.
    ^ this +1

United States
    i'm glad they kept the save system the same. i loved the first game, and even if they don't add much to the game, don't fix what's not broken, ya know?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    i'm glad they kept the save system the same. i loved the first game, and even if they don't add much to the game, don't fix what's not broken, ya know?
    Exactly, I too liked the save system, it reminds me of classic resident evil and silent hill, which does genuinely add to the challenge IMHO. It seems to me, those who played dead rising properly and got the most out of it had no problems with the save system or the cases or even the acheivements.

Those lazy bastards, who will remain nameless, who couldn't be assed doing the story or anything, or even worse, wanting to use cheats, are the ones doing the whining cuz they dont have the pussy-option of saving everytime they hit pause.