Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meathook Trio Photo

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    And I must say that up until this point no one can really deny that it is a possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    But this is just to illustrate that there can be different interpretations. It's kind of like some people's religion. No matter how ridiculous or far fetched it may sound there still the hurdle of proving them wrong, which is next to impossible, which is the case here.
    I have to say, I'm struggling a bit with these statements. In my mind there's nothing that says that one person must accept another person's interpretation as a valid possibility simply because it cannot be directly disproved. If that were the case we'd all be forced to acknowledge the possibility that Land might come before Day.

Interpretation, like opinion, is all subjective, and as much as we'd like everyone to be open minded, at some level people have the right to say, "Nope, I'm just not buying it."

This forum is great in that by and large there is always respect for differing interprations even if at the end of the day there's a lot of "I'm just not buying it."

With respect to the subject matter, I think the debate has switched a bit from the original post to now. I do see a possibility that the Ben/Cooper interactions had some racial influences. As a few have said previously, it's purely an undertone - nothing overt. But I could see how Cooper especially might've been more amenable to Ben's ideas had Ben been white. I would personally not interpret it that way, but I recognize the possibility.

As for Ben's actions at the end of the movie being racially influenced, I've got to say "I'm just not buying it" on that front. But I respect any dissenting interpretation.

United States
    Well said Trin. What I love about NOTLD is that you CAN interpret it this way, it's not too much of a stretch, it's still valid in or out of that context, & it works.

I, like you, at the end of the day do not necessarily buy the race issue between Ben & Harry, or in the ending, HOWEVER, I AM entertained by the POSSIBILITY, entertained by looking at the movie from that angle as well. It's like seeing the same movie from a different perspective, almost making it a different movie.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I have to say, I'm struggling a bit with these statements. In my mind there's nothing that says that one person must accept another person's interpretation as a valid possibility simply because it cannot be directly disproved. If that were the case we'd all be forced to acknowledge the possibility that Land might come before Day.

Interpretation, like opinion, is all subjective, and as much as we'd like everyone to be open minded, at some level people have the right to say, "Nope, I'm just not buying it."

This forum is great in that by and large there is always respect for differing interprations even if at the end of the day there's a lot of "I'm just not buying it."

With respect to the subject matter, I think the debate has switched a bit from the original post to now. I do see a possibility that the Ben/Cooper interactions had some racial influences. As a few have said previously, it's purely an undertone - nothing overt. But I could see how Cooper especially might've been more amenable to Ben's ideas had Ben been white. I would personally not interpret it that way, but I recognize the possibility.

As for Ben's actions at the end of the movie being racially influenced, I've got to say "I'm just not buying it" on that front. But I respect any dissenting interpretation.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Well said Trin. What I love about NOTLD is that you CAN interpret it this way, it's not too much of a stretch, it's still valid in or out of that context, & it works.

I, like you, at the end of the day do not necessarily buy the race issue between Ben & Harry, or in the ending, HOWEVER, I AM entertained by the POSSIBILITY, entertained by looking at the movie from that angle as well. It's like seeing the same movie from a different perspective, almost making it a different movie.

Well, as i stands I think alot of great points were made and it seems as if the thread has run it's course. Not that I believe everything I advocated for in this thread, it was just to bring a different perspective to light that some of us may not have thought of before.

I'll leave it off with a great line (imo) from comedian Dave Chapelle:

He's talking about the mixed history of our country in regards to race relations. He brought up George Washington and made 2 very interesting observations. That He was the "Father of our country" and at the same time he owned slaves. So he hypothesizes what it would be like traveling back in time with one of his white friends, both of them stepping out of the time machine and his friend saying:

"Look Dave, there George Washington, the Father of this great Nation!!"

Dave Replies" LOOK OUT, iT'S GEORGE WASHINGTON! RUN!!"

And they'd both be right.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    ROFL - Well said, both you and Dave Chapelle.

Agreed 100%.