Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 REVIEW on CNN.COM ("Far from perfect")

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

300 REVIEW on CNN.COM ("Far from perfect")

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movi...300/index.html

Looks like 300 might not be all that.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    As a movie about blood and thunder it is all that. Now if people go into it wanting to see some historical accuracy, deep-thought meanings to life, and other things esoteric then yes it is far from perfect. But for stylized blood and thunder it more than satisfies. Especially on IMAX .
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

United States
    CNN didn't really like Frank Miller's last project 'Sin City' that well either. I'd say if you liked the 300 comic book or have interest in the subject matter then it's worth seeing the movie.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ity/index.html

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Undisclosed
    I'll be my own judge after I watch it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm sure there'll be alot of people saying it's horrible. It's just a summer action flick. At least this time....Snyder intended it to be that way.

I'm thinking it's going to be pretty cool, but I saw a minute long clip of a battle and it was like the person controlling the speed of the camera was drunk.

Fast...sloooow...FAST!...slllllloooooowwwwww...... FAST!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    I'll be my own judge after I watch it.
    same here man, i never read reviews, after all critics criticise, the clues in the name they never give a striaght answer they all think there firggin ceasar anyway.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movi...300/index.html

It is twice all that and a bag of chips with a cold can of coke. Just got back from seeing it. I thought it was very entertaining and so did everyone in the packed theater I was in.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I am going to a midnight screening tomorrow night. I have high hopes for this film, and I was bummed to read three so-so reviews.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Well DUH, this is Zack Snyder were talking about. Good luck at the movies man.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I liked the DAWN of the DEAD remake/update/whatever ya call it. So I expected this to be as good. However, it all depends on taste.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    They even couple their death wish with ahistorical sentiments about "defending freedom" from Persian slavery and mysticism, though this hardly jibes with the regime the movie itself reveals.

It's noticeable, too, how Miller and his collaborators strain to disavow any whiff of homosexuality (well known throughout ancient Greece), even as they strip their buff warriors down to highly impractical leather briefs. Athenians are dismissed as "boy-lovers," but Spartans are real men.
    YOU

Meanwhile, Xerxes, the Persian king, is bedecked in jewelry and facial piercings, and has an effeminate, clean-shaven look. He's also distinctly dark-skinned and not at all Persian-looking.
    ZACK

or have interest in the subject matter
    Interest in the subject matter? What subject matter?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just got back from 300 and I have to say I was very very disappointed. IMHO, Zack Snyder brought us a kick ass zombie film remake in 2004, but 300 was not exactly entertaining. I thought the acting left a lot to be desired, and the constant use of slow motion during the battle sequences was getting annoying. Speed Up Slow Down, Speed Up, Slow down. I think they got so use to slowing the movie down that during a non action scene, a man riding on his horse was done in Slow Motion and it had no reason being in slow mo.

My other nit picky thing was the Persian leader, was it just me or did this guy remind you of Ru Paul? While he and Leonidas are having their conversation I swear I thought they were going to have sex.

Now the good stuff. The visuals are top notch. The green screen scenary was way better than the work done in Sin City. I think 300 looked much better. I would assume the use of Super 35 helped a lot of that.

Lena Headey, WOW, she is sexy, attractive and I was longing for her through out the film. The rest of the cast was decent, I will say Gerard Butler did do a decent job, but it was no Russell Crowe performance like in Gladiator. It needed work.

Overall, you will need to be a hardcore fan of 300 to really enjoy this. It has some decent moments but the 117 minute run time felt like 3 hours. I don't know how Zack Snyder did such a great job with the DAWN remake, but failed to give us anything to cheer for in 300. The battle sequences could have been spectacular, but the constant use of slow motion really took a lot of the impact away. This film failed to meet my expectations. C+
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    I gotta say Im not surprised. I think Snyder is all Gimmicks. Lots of pointless gimmicry In Dawn 04 too. I think Boring, however, is the worst sin. You can be stupid as hell, but if it is fun it doesn't really matter. But no amount of High Faluting Atry ness or SFX can save a boring movie.

Ru Paul!?!?!?!?!?
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

capncnut
    In other words, another s**ty Snyder movie. Avoid.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    If I had actually liked this film, I would have felt so guilty towards our ancestors. So I'm glad it sucks.