Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whatever happened to 'make poverty history' campaign?

Twitching

Undisclosed

whatever happened to 'make poverty history' campaign?

Was it unworkable in todays economics? Was it a inconvenience for the wealthy?
    It just seems to have disappeared.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak
    Was it unworkable in todays economics? Was it a inconvenience for the wealthy?
    It just seems to have disappeared.
    I think organizations involved were in it just long enough to collect donations; it then faded into obscurity.

You see that a lot with campaigns like that. Hell, I'm just above the poverty line, so it was obviously a failure.

Undisclosed
    http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/ta...on/index.shtml

I think Bono is awesome, by the way.
    http://zombie-a-gogo.blogspot.com/

Zombie-A-GoGo
    News, Reviews, Interviews, and More!

"Please don't beat Teddy."--Teddy, Night of the Seagulls

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    That site is right. U2 is just plain ****. Bono is worse. The babbling, tree-hugging liberal-ass kisser.

That site was classic. lol

United States
    I pay no attention to Bono at all.
    I don't disagree with him, I just think he's a self important ass.
    Plus I think he has a hair weave
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Undisclosed
    When most celebrities do hardly anything and get paid a$$ loads for it, and then just wallow in their own wealth, I think Bono is refreshing. You can dislike U2, you can get tired of seeing his face on TV, but the fact is that he's doing more good than most people with his clout do (he's does more good than most average people do)--and he's been doing it for years and years, so it's not as if it's a publicity stunt. I say the world's a better place with rather than without him.

Zombie-A-GoGo

England
    The celebrities who really deserve credit are the ones like jimmy saville,who used to & im sure still does,go round hospitals.He never told the press he was doing it & never made a big fuss over it,just quietly got on with it which is how it should be.Its ok for bono telling us to give all our money away because we are the richest people in the world,but he's a multi-millionaire so why isnt he giving all his money away instead of lording it up like he does?

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, I know, he should give more to charity of his own millions and millions, and friggin' let us know to set a damn example.

This reminds me of something Kevin Smith wrote about in his book "Silent Bob Speaks", he did a chapter on Ben Affleck, who I personally think is a pretty cool guy (except for the J-Lo wank). Smith was surprised to find that The Fleck brings a kid he knows, who is in a wheelchair with some kind of disease (can't remember the details), but Fleckster brings him to most, if not all, of his movies to hang out on set and gives him a taste of Hollywood life. He's a friend of the family or something like that (again, memory failing), but with Smith relaying this info (Fleck didn't talk about it), I thought "damn, that's a really cool thing to do" (what Fleck does I mean).

Some people get a bit assholy about celebs (such as with Affleck, but I reckon he's a pretty cool dude out for a laugh, I think Smith brings out the person in Fleck, rather than the celebrity which all the Hello/OK/Heat etc mags focus on), but celebs are people too, they're just known by a lot of people and they generally get paid a lot better than we do...

People like Bono though, just get on my tits, preaching at us normal folk who give plenty to charity as a whole anyway, when we're plodding along on normal people salaries (if we can get a good damn job that is!) all the while he's sitting on Scrooge McDuck's money pile...

There's another celebrity (I have Robin Williams in my head, but I'm not sure) who also does the "anonymous hospital visit" 'thing', which is a pretty cool thing to do. I've been in hospitals, and they're deadly depressing places and the sh*t you see there...ug...props to anyone who can deal with the places I say...

Undisclosed
    I recall reading not so long ago that he and his wife use their money to actually start businesses on the continent of Africa, and give big businesses incentives to invest in those African businesses. That is a zillion times better than just handing some cash over to charity (and, really, I can't imagine that Bono doesn't just give to charities as well)--because it's a long term investment that also gets poverty ridden people out from under the double-edged sword that is pure charity and enables them to provide for themselves. Also, the point of getting media attention for this kind of thing is clearly not to celebrate the celebrity--these are the kinds of issues that desperately need public awareness, or else they very quickly, and sadly, fall by the wayside. Celebrity, in the 80's, went a long way to bringing Aparthied to Western attention, and once that happened, people demanded change, sanctions were imposed on South Africa by popular demand, and the government was economically forced to make changes and abandon their disgusting governing practices.
    Last edited by Zombie-A-GoGo; 19-Aug-2006 at 07:21 PM.

Zombie-A-GoGo

Super Moderator

UK
    Well then Boner should advertise it about a bit more to let folk know, if what he's doing (businesses thingy) is true, then that's a good idea (how successful said businesses are is another thing of course ), but he should tout it about a bit more to inspire others ... and shouldn't he be knocking on the doors of big businesses to help out? Rather than the mostly skint public? (Especially the case here in the UK, thanks for nothing Darth Brown, ya git!)

Undisclosed
    BBC article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4995946.stm
    Product Red:http://www.joinred.com/products.asp
    Red Blog: http://joinred.blogspot.com/

Mororola, American Express, Converse, Emporio-Armani, and The Gap are involved. I suspect you can buy Red products at their outlets.

Zombie-A-GoGo

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    "whatever happened to make poverty history campaing?"

...pretty much the same as the war on drugs one

Super Moderator

UK
    Stop showing me up, damnit!

Undisclosed