Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kick Ass 2 (film)

Super Moderator

United States
    I definitely enjoyed it, as did the three others I went with. A fair amount of crowd reaction throughout the film and some applause at the end.

If they had to do a sequel, then they managed to do so properly.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I definitely enjoyed it, as did the three others I went with. A fair amount of crowd reaction throughout the film and some applause at the end.

If they had to do a sequel, then they managed to do so properly.
    Yeah, I'm not getting the bad reviews and such. I didn't hear any grumblings from the crowd after it was over. Nothing but love.

Undisclosed
    Ok, so I saw Kick Ass 2 last night. I went away from it feeling overall very satisfied. Didn't feel as good as the first movie, but it definitely exceeded my expectations. It was an interesting experience to see what a world would look like with a whole movement of people dressing up in costumes and doing various good deeds in their communities.

***Spoiler Alert***

Having read the comic before seeing the movie, which was far darker than its film version by leaps and bounds, I totally get why they made McLovin into a more comical while at the same time sadistic villain (much akin to Dr. Evil). Honestly, he just doesn't have the look or persona to come off as sick and twisted as the comic version of MF was (I just could never picture him realistically having the nerve to just gun down a bunch of kids playing on the side of the street just because he thought it would be funny to do it).

Moving on, I don't really get what the hell Jim Karry's problem was with the character he played in the movie. Colonel Stars and Stripes was an awesome combination between a total badass and a real humanitarian. Karry really sold the role, making it the character into a larger than life kind of person who has no problem beating the living crap out of low life scum but carries around an empty pistol because he can no longer bring himself to take a human life like he did in his days prior to becoming a hero. It's not like his role was advocating gun violence in any way, so I tried to block out the things he had said recently and just enjoy the ride.

Other characters were really well casted for their roles, especially Mother Russia. That lady really came off to me as Dragonov's (from Rocky IV) 'little sister' in how she just kicked everyone's ass she came across without much of a word spoken.

Another thing that did it for me was the small things, which the movie made a good point to emphasize. One of the biggest examples for me was the moment when Night Bitch's eyes light up after she helps the Justice Forever group in rescuing a bunch of helpless women that had been essentially forced into prostitution. It was the moment that you see that she's done something more than just dressing up in a costume and playing pretend, she's actually done something to make a difference for others who were helpless to protect themselves.

The most memorable moment for me was towards the end when the doors to MF's layer open and all the 'heroes' enter to face of against the army he's been building to wreck the city. Maybe it was just me reading a bit more into that moment than I should, but it meant a lot to me. Kick-Ass and Hit-Girl had been fighting villains (and killing them) for years, but many of these people were just every day joes that simply put on costumes and walked around the city accomplishing not much of anything. And here they were called upon by the two main heroes to step up and face off against a force of hardened psychopaths and criminals. They had the choice of simply going home and throwing away their outfits and accepting the fact that the bad guys would essentially burn the city down and hundreds, if not thousands, of innocent people would die in the chaos. Instead, they each chose to enter a den of monsters and risk their lives, as Hit-Girl said, "This is not a game. Real people are going to die tonight.", to fight with everything they had to stop that from happening. Again, maybe it was just me reading more into a situation than I was supposed to, but that also shows the genius of the movie and how it was made so that it could create that kind of reaction from me.

Again overall, a solid sequel to a fantastic movie.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 23-Aug-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags.

Super Moderator

UK
    I added spoiler tags to the text to keep the text entirely hidden from those who don't want to see it, it's always the best way with spoilers.

[ spoiler ] ***YOUR TEXT GOES HERE*** [ /spoiler ]

Just remove the spaces (i.e. [/spoiler]).