Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim (film)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I've been hearing generally good buzz about this flick in reviews ... although I did read in one that it's a tad lacking in the human heart department ... so we'll see about that.

Somewhat weirdly, Yahoo complained that you 'couldn't see the monsters enough', whinging that too many fights happened at night in the rain ... I think we'll be seeing enough of the Kaiju and Jaeger fights from the trailers ... Yahoo even went on about 'men in suits' fighting in 'styrofoam cities' ... ... wouldn't exactly cut the mustard these days, would it? Fine for the originals many decades ago, but we have new tools these days, and Pacific Rim - to me at the moment - certainly looks the part.
    Aye. Even Big G will be a CGI critter in the 2014 return from Legendary. It will certainly be interesting to compare this film & that one when they're both out.

Administrator

England
    So any of you folks seen it yet? Thoughts?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So any of you folks seen it yet? Thoughts?
    Some of us have jobs y'know.

Hope to see it this weekend.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 12-Jul-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: fer fooks sake

United States
    Caught it late last night, and it was fantastic. The scale is really off the charts, so much monster destruction. The weight behind every punch, throw and plasma blast made the fight scenes feel truly epic, and I can't wait to see it again.

A solid B+ from me. I love how the film was completely self contained, although a sequel would be welcome.

Super Moderator

UK
    Mark Kermode certainly dug it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9lDgbrqRPI

United States
    Just got back, LOVED it. 100% pure fun. It's been a long time since I went to the movies & just purely ENJOYED one like I did this. It delivered on everything I wanted + more.

Kaiju, Jagers, fights, all incredibly well executed.

It actually had more story than I expected for the human characters. Nothing terribly deep or than hasn't been done in some form or another, such as a hero's redemption arc, or a platonic romance, but well done & welcome, making me like the characters & engage with them.

Some interesting ideas too on how the Jager's are piloted & what the interaction with the human pilots is.

A lot of my favorite moves do a good job of "world building" (Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Men In Black), & this one did that as well, although we only got to see glimpses of it.

It put me in mind of other "humanity's last stand against the invaders" movies like "Independence Day" or "Starship Troopers" + every Japanese Kaiju movie+every Japanese Giant Robot anime+a big ol' handful of American steroids.

Hit all the right notes for me & did it well. It definitely connected with my inner kid in a big way. I spent most of the movie with my eyes as big as dinner plates, & either a big grin on my face or mouth hanging open.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 15-Jul-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Gojira was here

United States
    saw this tonight with the gf and her nephew. thought it was pretty good, but it had some rather corny acting at times and could've been edited a little better.

i also can't really stand it these days when during a big fight scene, the cinematographer thinks it'd be a good idea to have the camera rolling and tumbling around, making it damn near impossible to keep up with the action. lots and lots of that during this film.

however, the special effects and CGI were awesome, the monsters and robots were incredible, and the concept was kinda nifty, though a little derivative of other films in many ways. but it really shines when it comes to huge epic loud flashy monster battles and crazy amounts of collateral damage....i'm pretty excited for what legendary pictures will be doing with the 2014 godzilla film.

overall, worth seeing, but be warned, it runs a bit long and gets a bit cheesy at times.

7/10
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 21-Jul-2013 at 03:54 AM. Reason: .

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    On a spur of the moment kinda thing, I saw this last night in IMAX 3D. I gotta say.....I felt like a happy kid again. I friggin loved it! I normally don't like 3D, but this is the kinda film where it works wonderfully. Especially on a massive screen where you feel like you're part of the battle.

Big monsters, giant robots, gut-rattling explosions......I was thrilled for two hours. Not a thinking man's film, but as Moon says it's just 100% pure fun. I doubt i'll ever see it at home because the large screen experience was so fun, but I loved it regardless.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    On a spur of the moment kinda thing, I saw this last night in IMAX 3D. I gotta say.....I felt like a happy kid again. I friggin loved it! I normally don't like 3D, but this is the kinda film where it works wonderfully. Especially on a massive screen where you feel like you're part of the battle.

Big monsters, giant robots, gut-rattling explosions......I was thrilled for two hours. Not a thinking man's film, but as Moon says it's just 100% pure fun. I doubt i'll ever see it at home because the large screen experience was so fun, but I loved it regardless.
    Glad I'm not the only one. I'll definitely see it again at home. Can't wait for a DVD or Blu. But then again, I love kaiju flicks & own all the Godzilla's, Gamera's, etc. That said, I would definitely recommend seeing in in the theater, as it really did add to the experience. I'd like to see it again as a matter of fact.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just read that the film is doing phenomenally over seas, so a sequel might be a real possibility. I'm not sure it really needs one and I doubt Del Toro would ever get around to it considering the thousands of projects he has lined up at a single time but should he make one, i'll be there with bells on....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I just read that the film is doing phenomenally over seas, so a sequel might be a real possibility. I'm not sure it really needs one and I doubt Del Toro would ever get around to it considering the thousands of projects he has lined up at a single time but should he make one, i'll be there with bells on....
    Mmm Hmm. China was huge I heard. I, too, don't think it NEEDS one. I like the fact it wasn't written in any way to SUGGEST one, but I would certainly WELCOME one, & think there's a lot of gold that could be mined from the universe that Del Toro created. Everything from the Aliens to the Drifting with Kaiju thing all ripe territory for further exploration.

Undisclosed
    **Spoilers Inside**

Gotta agree with that one. It is very, very rare for me to go see a movie twice in the theaters, but I did with this one. I thought the story and the pace were spot on, and the acting was exactly what it needed to be for the movie.

I loved seeing the evolution of both the monsters and the robots. The first of the Kitju (class one) were big, bulky, and slow as hell, perfect for smashing down cities- where as the class 3 and 4 Kitju were more adapted to combating enemies equal to their size and strengths (ie: Jaegers). Where as the Jaegers themselves were improved over time to match the Kitju's evolution- The first Jaegers are big, cumbersome robots that can do little more than walk and punch like oversized rock 'em sock'em robots. Where as the Mark IV and V Jaegers move almost as fluidly as a human can and are armed with a variety of powerful weapons to take down the Kitju.

My main pet peeve about the movie were the deaths of Chernobyl Alpha and Crimson Typhoon. For as much backstory as was given to them (each team had taken out I think 5 Katju a piece prior to the events of the movie), I expected them to put up a much better fight than they did. While I know they were obviously meant to be red shirts, it still aggravated me that they both went down so quickly.

Overall though, Pacific Rim fare exceeded my expectations for what I went in to go see.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 07-Aug-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Spoiler Tags needed

Administrator

England
    Rightwing401 - If there's spoilers up there ^^ (didn't read to carefully) can you SPOILER tag them please.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Fixed it Neil. Sorry about that. I put that post up at the end of a very long day and wasn't thinking.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwing401 View Post
    Fixed it Neil. Sorry about that. I put that post up at the end of a very long day and wasn't thinking.
    I edited it so the text was hidden within "Spoiler Tags".

[spoiler] ***TEXT HERE*** [/spoiler]