Thread: Falling Skies Season 3

Undisclosed

Falling Skies Season 3

Ok. So I just finished watching the last episode of season 3. My reaction to the whole thing more of a, 'meh' than a 'hot damn'.

The first season really pulls you in with the concept that the main characters are not super badass hero types. They're just every day people, like myself and countless others, who have had their entire world destroyed and have chosen to pick up any weapons that they can and fight back rather than simply give in to a seemingly overwhelming foe.

Season 3 was a different animal to the first two seasons. Not that it could have been bad, if it had been done right. In the third season, a new alien race called the 'Volum' have arrived to assist the Earth resistance. As I had expected at the end of season 2, they are a small 'special forces' unit dropped deep behind enemy lines to help prop up the local guerilla units until the main force arrives by providing them with weapons and strategies against the Overlords. While I was apprehensive about an alien or several alien characters becoming main players in the story line, Kotchese (the main alien character) had a very believable background that made you realize that aliens have the same everyday problems and feelings that humans do.

Aside from that, I felt that there was just too damn much focus on conversations about dealing with inner demons and sharing feelings. Honest to god, I think the last five episodes revolved around the main character's oldest son Hal and his fighter girlfriend Maggie discussing the complexities of their relationship. For crying out loud, I don't need suffer through six different 20 min scenes of them discussing how tough their relationship is. We got it in season 2, you don't need to bash me over the head with it time and time again.

About the only conversation about 'inner feelings' that I enjoyed throughout the whole season was when we learn a little more of John Pope, the resident bad guy of the show that you just love to hate, and how he ended up becoming a both a criminal and a prisoner. It was also interesting to see his rough exterior give away slightly when he discusses his two children who he still does not know if they are even alive or worse. I enjoyed that that because that was only mentioned one other time and briefly in season one.

Expanding on that, the main running of each episode with the 5-10 min of action mixed with 50 min of discussing of inner feelings is really starting to wear thin on me. There were a few time for me that it made sense, but I finished the last episode of season 3 with a feeling of really being let down. I certainly didn't expect the final battle to last a whole of 5 minutes with no loss of human life in the process of wiping out an entire enemy battle structure.

The only saving grace for me that will bring me back to season 4 is the fact that the primary characters are back in the same boat they were as in the beginning of season 2. (For reasons I don't want to give away.)

So yeah, the third season of Falling Skies didn't really live up to the potential that I was expecting. If you are a fan of the show, watch it with care.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    The highlight of the whole season for me was Pope's bet on what the community would do with Hal Mason who took hostages and was discovered to be under alien control.