Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michael Bay continues unnecessarily sexing up kids films?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I would never show a kid the transformer films. I want him to respect the art of filmmaking and acting.
    Big robots fighting. Anything bad you have to say about these films can be countered with that. Big robots fighting.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Big robots fighting. Anything bad you have to say about these films can be countered with that. Big robots fighting.
    REAL STEEL has Big Robots fighting. Big Robots doesn't beat a freed slave gunning down racist white people in the south.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Uncomfortable for you or uncomfortable for the kid? Perhaps such stuff goes over their head a bit?

Now yes this is different (more visual at times, rather than verbal), but Ghostbusters has some pretty raunchy dialogue in it at times - and suggestion of a ghost BJ - and yet I watched that film repeatedly as a child and never got a single one of those references. There was a gap of not watching it throughout my teen years, and then I finally went back to the film as an adult and was stunned by how many cheeky gags were thrown in there.

Of course, the GB flicks are far better than any Transformers movie - a million miles better - with far better writing to boot, but still, just as a comparison.

This reminds me of a funny thing my Mum told me about when I was a kid - of the handful of films I was obsessed with, Short Circuit was one of them. In that film there is a line that goes something like "Your mother was a snowblower" - and I repeated that line to a friend of mine, and he then repeated it to his mother ... now, the lines sounds ruder than it actually is (particularly out of context), but it made me chuckle hearing about that.
    You may be right... But again, why do we need sexually orientated (cheap) shots, and talk of you boys jacking off - Is Bay so short of ideas he ran out of useful material?

The Goonies is another odd example, with again some very unnecessary strong language in it that seems completely at odds with the film.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You may be right... But again, why do we need sexually orientated (cheap) shots, and talk of you boys jacking off - Is Bay so short of ideas he ran out of useful material?

The Goonies is another odd example, with again some very unnecessary strong language in it that seems completely at odds with the film.
    And let's not forget that quick cheap shot of Josh Brolin eyeing Kerri Green's undies as she was climbing down a rope.

As a teen at the time, it made me happy, as an adult ... I could see a problem with that.

Wayne Z

Super Moderator

United States
    Come on now, I thought all the Puritans crossed over on the Mayflower

Use your 'parental guidance' and make some executive decisions for your kids, folks.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Use your 'parental guidance' and make some executive decisions for your kids, folks.
    ? So you go to see a film based on a cartoon, about giant fighting robots... You know your kids will be fine with the action in such a film. But then there's extended T&A shots (gratuitous?) and talking about masterbation and the like. Why would you expect to be faced with the latter, given the former?

And more importantly, why is the latter even needed?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    What certificate did 'Transformers' show at?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    PG-13 in the States.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    All three films were rated 12A in the UK.

Talk of wanking isn't entirely out-of-place, just a bit crass/only funny to some/indulgent.

Again, I think all of this goes right over the heads of young kids. I know that so much suggestive material went straight over my head in films I watched religiously for years as a child, and it wasn't until I was an adult that I suddenly got all of those cheeky gags and asides. It's important to remember that distinction. If your kids aren't asking questions about those elements, or talking about them, then it's highly likely they didn't even notice.

These films a little bit more grown up - more of a tween audience at least, and above - and yet, yes, the toys are very much aimed at children. But see my above point about young kids and this sort of content. They'll see big robots punching each other, while an adult sees that and potentially awkward material that kids have zero knowledge of.

Ireland
    Well then it's not for 8 year olds.

Re: flying over kids heads, I agree. I remember watching 'Deliverance' when I was a kid and literally thought that Ned Beatty was being ridden around like a pig by the redneck. I knew it was a humiliating scene and felt sorry for the poor fat bloke, but then Burt shows up an arrows the hick through the neck and as a kid it was "WOW, that guys just been shot through the neck!!!...BRILLIANT!!!"

Kids are remarkably resilient anyway. They're well able to process things better than we often give them credit for, even if it is in their own way.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    REAL STEEL has Big Robots fighting. Big Robots doesn't beat a freed slave gunning down racist white people in the south.
    I wouldn't really compare the two films.