Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lou's Adventures in Real Estate Hell (aka, why Freddie Mac & Fannie Mae suck ass)

United States

Lou's Adventures in Real Estate Hell (aka, why Freddie Mac & Fannie Mae suck ass)

I will say this up front - I can't make this post short. If you're not into reading long posts, move along, 'cause this might (and most likely will) get ugly and there'll probably be come colorful language to boot.

So, on that note, let's take a journey into "real estate hell," shall we?

<rant>

All this BS started back in July of 2011. My wife and I decided we wanted a vacation property out in the mountains, and since West Virginia wasn't too far away from where we live we decided to start looking there. We were always big fans of Berkeley Springs, WV and stayed in cabins there quite a few times. It's quite beautiful out there. After mulling over it for over a year, we decided buy. I just have this thing for the mountains, I can't help it.

During this process, keep in mind that the wife and I were looking for a house/cabin in the sub-$80,000 range. We knew we'd be looking mostly at forclosures, and knew they'd need work, but we were ok with that as long as the work wasn't "major." We are the type of people that aren't afraid to get dirty and do some work. Also, keep in mind this is a vacation place - a "weekend getaway" for us and friends and whoever else we'd like to bring along. Not looking to rent the place, just to go and hang out whenever we felt like getting away from it all.

House #1: So, the first place we found that we wanted we decided to put a contract on it. It was in Gerrardstown, WV. Mostly nice area, some very nice neighborhoods there. Anyway, the first house we found was awesome - all it needed was some yard work and one water pipe repair (it was pvc, which means a 20 minute fix, max) - or so we would have believed. We put a contract on it, it was accepted. Keep in mind this is a Fannie Mae property. Also keep in mind that Fannie/Freddie were started by the gov't (that should've been a red flag right there!) to help people get into houses. Little did we realize how UNTRUE that is.

So, the contract was accepted, we went out a few days later to get the septic inspected and do a home inspection. As soon as we showed up the neighbor rushed over and proceeded to explain to us that the drain fields for the septic were bubbling up out of the ground and leaking onto her property. Great. After some talks with Fannie Mae, they won't do the repairs, and I was not spending $8000+ for a new septic on this foreclosure. That property was essentially axed. One a side note: the house still has not gone back up on the market almost a year later. Turns out they found out there was a lien against the title of the house - so even had the septic system & drain fields been ok, we still would've been screwed. REAL nice, eh? you'd think Fannie Mae would do their research before putting it up on the market, right? Yeah, riiiight.

House #2: This one was a nice little place that had an addition that was added a few years after the house was built and was leaking a bit from the roof, but a quick inspection made it evident that it was only some bad flashing that needed to be repaird where the addition's roof met with the rest of the house. Easy enough, right?. Went to put a bid in on it - was out-bid by someone else. What's fishy is this: in the state of west virginia, the selling realtor can also represent the BUYER - can't do that in the state I live, but in West VA, that's the case. And that's what happened - the other offer was higher than ours, but I believe the selling realtor told HER buyer what our offer was and they bid just a bit higher and got it. Shit. That was a Freddie Mac property.

House #3: we found what could almost be considered a "tiny house" - it was an A-frame that was only 659 sq. ft. A loft, a living room, a kitchen, a bathroom and a single bedroom - but it was secluded on a BEAUTIFUL piece of property surrounded on 3 sides by a reviene and streams. Perfect for the wifey and I and our son as a quick weekend getaway. We really didn't need much more. The place was listed for $25,900 - it was a tiny little A-Frame house that had some issues, but nothing that we couldn't have taken care of. Offer made & contract accepted, we went to do a house inspection. We had to turn on the water at the street, do our inspection, but upon returning to turn the water off, the "pit" where the water meter rests was full of water! The damn main water line was leaking! County came out, said since the leak was AFTER the meter it was the owners responsibility. There goes house #3 - no way was I buying a place with a leak in the main water line - and Freddie Mac (yeah, those idiots again) REFUSED to fix it. Probably would've cost about $2000-4000 to fix. Instead, what do they do? Yeah, they sold it for $15,000. WAY less than they could've got had they just fixed the shit. Completely defies logic, doesn't it? Well, it doesn't stop there...

House #4: This place was a HUD house (Housing & Urban Development). HUD houses you have to put in a bid and wait for their deadline to see if yours is accepted. Our was. Problem is, the house didn't appraise for what we offered, and the bank won't lend you more than what a property appraises for. That house was immediately scrapped and we moved on.

House #5: this one was literally a heartbreaker. We found a BEAUTIFUL forclosure, a cabin (exactly, and I mean EXACTLY what my wife and I were looking for) on 2.5 acres of property. PERFECT condition, price was $69,000. My wife and I wanted it, so we put in a bid. Turns out there's multiple offers, so we had to bring our "best offer to the table" and hope we were the highest bidder. We bid $77,000 - that's how serious we were about wanting this place. $8000 over the asking price. So we put in the offer and wait... and wait... and wait.... FINALLY a week later, my realtor had enough and called the selling realtor. Get this: we had the highest bid out of the 4 bids total they got on this place. You think they would take the highest bidder, right? WRONG! We had the highest bid and they gave it to someone else! Fuckers! Another Freddie Mac property, and another deal that defies all logic...

At this point, I'm about ready to start punching babies I'm so goddamn angry.

That last place about ruined my thoughts of ever finding another house out there. Our realtor was stunned almost to tears that we bid $8k over the asking price - were the highest bidder - and we lost it. NO idea how the fuck that's even possible. We're not a credit or financial risk - hell, we didn't even get that far in the process! My realtor suspects someone came in with a big wad of cash and scooped it up but she can't find out 'till all the paperwork is signed, done and the records are on file. Fuck. My. Life. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Now, keep in mind we had been going out there to west va almost every other weekend for almost a year. This stuff is starting to wear my skin REAL thin.

House #6: here's where it gets interesting. So, our realtor finds a place that she thinks might appeal to us. We see the pictures, agree that it's in stellar condition and we're interested, so we go to check out the place this past weekend. Apparently, 3 years ago, our realtor showed this place and it was a hot mess. She said she was scared to even walk inside the place, that's how bad the condition of it was. Well, the person who bought it back in 2010 completely re-built the place in early 2011 (i'm talking ripping everything out of the house down to the wall studs and rebuilding it) and now it was up for sale a year later. He was apparently a "house flipper" - buy it cheap, fix it up, then sell for a profit. I had no problem with that. So, here's the one positive thing that we thought might make this work: It wasn't a foreclosure, it's being sold by the guy who bought it last. GOOD SIGN. We checked out the place and it's in fantastic shape. I think the only thing that needs to be done is some yard work and the deck needs to be painted. That's it. Since I was sick of the whole game and having my chain jerked, I decided to low-ball the offer we sent them by $3000 under their asking price. That was Sunday, April 22nd. Well, just got word that our offer was accepted!! *jumps for joy*

So, with a massive amount of excitement I'm happy to say we finally have a confirmed, signed contract and are set to settle on June 5th on this place:

Now, what did Lou and his wife learn during this experience? Well, a few things:

1) Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and HUD are all bullshit organizations that were supposedly "designed" to help people get into houses but DO NOT. You can make all the excuses for these dipshits you want, and can tell me all about the housing market and how bad it is and why they aren't selling their houses - doesn't change the fact that first-hand experience has made me realize these idiots are not interested in selling off their properties. They'd rather keep them and whine to the government for more bailout money.. "oh, see all these houses we can't sell? Give us more money." The last bailout I saw was for Fannie Mae for 62 BILLION dollars. BILLION dollars. My question is: FOR WHAT?! And when they DO finally sell a place? They're willing to take a hit on the bottom line price when if they would've just spent HALF of what they lost during the sale to fix some issues, they could've made MORE money on the sale. But for some reason, they'd rather lose money instead. I can't wrap my head around their logic at all.

2) If you're in the market for a house, don't look for forclosures in this market unless you're prepared to deal with disappointment and headaches at every single turn. It's a bad idea, and unless you can pay for the entire place in cash or take out a conventional loan (by putting down 20% of the cost up-front - which is hard for most folks to do when they're buying a ~$100k home - do you have $20,000 laying around? I sure as shit don't!), you're wasting your time looking at and making offers on them. Again, Fannie, Freddie, and HUD aren't interested in selling you a house right now. They want to whine to the gov't for more money or they're just sitting back and waiting for the market to bounce back so they can rape people of their hard earned money - sorta like they did a few years ago which is what got them into this stupid mess they're in now in the first goddamn place!

3) Short sales? Ho-ly crap, just forget those. Not only are they a bitch to secure since the seller is selling the place for less than what is owed on it (lawyers get involved, which is NEVER good!) - but, it takes around 90 days to close a short sale. IF you're lucky.

4) While the market certainly is a "buyers market" - doesn't mean you're going to get sold a house under any circumstances. Unless, that is, you put yourself into major debt by buying a $200-300k (or more) place. The "powers that be" in the real estate market have NO PROBLEM putting you in debt to the tune of $1000-2500/month mortgage payments, but god help you if you just want to borrow, say, $50k for a place that needs a little work. Oh no, we can't have any of that shit! "Put people in way over their heads or don't help them at all" seems to be their motto. *rips out hair in frustration*

I have no idea what has happened to the real estate market since I bought my last house (back in 1994). It's almost as if no one wants to sell you shit, even if it means THEY are going to lose their ass sitting on it for a few more years.

</rant>

Ok, I feel a bit better now that I have that off my chest. Bottom line? Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac suck and need to be eliminated. If they were designed to help put people in houses but don't, then why is our government funding these money-sucking, worthless programs?!

Here's a few more pictures of the place. There's also an "almost finished" basement (the wall studs and electrical work have all been done, just need some insulation and paneling to finish it off) but I don't have any pics of it yet. Check it out:

There's always a chance things could go sideways between now and June 5th (house doesn't appraise at the price we offered, inspectors find latent material defects, etc.) but it's doubtful. The guy rebuilt this place with a lot of care, and it appears he did it all "by the booK." I'm so excited I could almost explode.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 26-Apr-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: .

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Congratulations on the place, Lou. Looks real nice. My wife any I have actually been looking into the West Virginia panhandle recently. Don't have a lot of extra money right now, but we've been thinking about maybe buying a few acres of empty land now while prices are low and putting up a cabin at our leisure in the future.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Super Moderator

UK
    Glad to hear all this palava should finally pay off, dude. It's a nice looking place.

United States
    Thanks, guys. As you can tell by my post, it's been hell getting here, but we finally made it. *wipes brow in relief*

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    My wife any I have actually been looking into the West Virginia panhandle recently. Don't have a lot of extra money right now, but we've been thinking about maybe buying a few acres of empty land now while prices are low and putting up a cabin at our leisure in the future.
    That was my wife and I's first thought, but then we started looking at the sub-$80k foreclosures. Little did we realize the hell we'd go through to finally get a place - and wouldn't you know it? We ended up with a property that wasn't a foreclosure! Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Glad to hear all this palava should finally pay off, dude. It's a nice looking place.
    Thanks, MZ - next time you're in town you can come and hang out with us at "Lou's Chalet in the Woods" - There's usually a "No Vacancy" sign hanging out front, but as the saying goes... *says in his most creepy voice* "There's always room for one more..."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Very nice looking place, Lou! I hope you guys enjoy it.

As for HUD homes....I've had totally different experiences. My current home was purchased through HUD and it's turned out to be a wise purchase. I basically had to gut the interior, but for the price and the final home it was well worth the money. That was about eight years ago. Recently i've seen much better homes going up for about 35-50K because of the current economy. And these things have minimal damage! I've considered purchasing just to attempt to turn the house quickly. It would be a risky move, but I know a few guys that have done it and made off like bandits....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    nice place, lou.

just don't read any strange books you find in the basement out loud.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Very nice looking place, Lou! I hope you guys enjoy it.
    Thanks bass, I'm sure it'll become party central for all my friends and myself. At the very least, it'll be a nice place to go and decompress from the insanity of Maryland. Man, I so hate this state.

As for HUD homes....I've had totally different experiences. My current home was purchased through HUD and it's turned out to be a wise purchase. I basically had to gut the interior, but for the price and the final home it was well worth the money. That was about eight years ago.
    The only thing about HUD homes I didn't like is that you had to bid on it, then wait for their deadline - and in the meantime, you have everyone else throwing bids at them too. We actually would've made out really good with that HUD house, and our offer was even accepted, but the house didn't appraise for the amount we bid, so it was either re-bid or move on. We just chose to move on. With HUD homes, however, if you get one, you can make out incredibly well, which is what it sounds like you guys did.

I see now I included HUD in my list of "bullshit organizations" - I guess I should clarify that's not entirely accurate. We didn't really have problems with HUD other than the long period of waiting after you bid and the reason that sale didn't go through wasn't because of HUD themselves, it was because of the bank not willing to loan you more than the house is worth. I guess my anger was just making me lump all of 'em together. "Sorry 'bout that, chief"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    nice place, lou.
    Thanks, Mike. You wanna come up over for a beer or....twelve?

just don't read any strange books you find in the basement out loud.
    "Klaatu Barada Nikto!" No, wait a minute, that's not right. "Klaatu Barista Nincompoop!"

No, wait....

Last edited by LouCipherr; 27-Apr-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post

"Klaatu Barada Nikto!" No, wait a minute, that's not right. "Klaatu Barista Nincompoop!"

No, wait....

i think you just summoned nic cage as he researches his next role: a secretive barista who is secretly an international hitman/coffee buyer with secret past, a secret family, and generally just a lot of secrets. i believe he becomes an oak tree at the end of the movie.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i think you just summoned nic cage as he researches his next role: a secretive barista who is secretly an international hitman/coffee buyer with secret past, a secret family, and generally just a lot of secrets. i believe he becomes an oak tree at the end of the movie.
    "an oak tree"

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    That was my wife and I's first thought, but then we started looking at the sub-$80k foreclosures. Little did we realize the hell we'd go through to finally get a place - and wouldn't you know it? We ended up with a property that wasn't a foreclosure! Go figure!
    The cabin looks like it's in great shape. How much land is it on? Morgan County? That's one of the four we've been looking at, along with Grant, Mineral, and Hardy. Those seem to have a less onerous zoning, permit, and inspection process than the others in the east (e.g. Hampshire), and anything further west would be too much of a drive for a quick weekend trip.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

ViP

United States
    Lou, we're about to reduce our house payment by about $100, and loan term by 3 years using a Fanny May refi. Should I be worried? I know this is comparing apples and oranges to your particular situation, but would you have any advice one way or the other? We haven't signed the paperwork.. yet.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    The cabin looks like it's in great shape. How much land is it on? Morgan County? That's one of the four we've been looking at, along with Grant, Mineral, and Hardy. Those seem to have a less onerous zoning, permit, and inspection process than the others in the east (e.g. Hampshire), and anything further west would be too much of a drive for a quick weekend trip.
    I believe it's in Berkeley County (actually, almost positive of this after looking at the map.. lol). We're about 20 minutes south of Berkeley Springs, about 7 minutes southwest of Martinsburg and about 20-25 minutes west of Charlestown, if that helps give you any indication of it's locale.

As far as the lot size: 1.33 acres.

I agree about the distance, which is why we chose to stay in the Morgan/Berkeley county areas. We want to be just over the Maryland line, but we also still want to be out in the mountains (and for my wife, close to the Charlestown casino! ). This was a good compromise between where we want to be and distance from our current location. I'd say the place is about an hour and 50 minutes from our current domicile. Perfect for weekend getaways anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Lou, we're about to reduce our house payment by about $100, and loan term by 3 years using a Fanny May refi. Should I be worried? I know this is comparing apples and oranges to your particular situation, but would you have any advice one way or the other? We haven't signed the paperwork.. yet.
    Well, to be honest, I'm not that knowledgeable of the internal financials of fannie/freddie, especially in your situation (refinance). I only know them from the initial purchase end, but I can tell you this: most of the time with fannie/freddie, they will finance you on your initial purchase, but will eventually sell the loan off (and fairly quick, within a year) to a different financial institution. At least that's the case when you buy new. Again though, i'm not sure if they do that with a refinance and I claim no knowledge of that end of their spectrum.

I've actually never heard of a refinance done through fannie though - if you don't mind me asking, did you purchase the house initially from fannie or freddie? I could see them doing a refi that way, but never heard of, say, getting your initial loan through another company (for example, lets say from Wells Fargo) then fannie or freddie refi'ing you down the road. That just seems out of the ordinary, but like I said, I'm no financial expert and this could be totally normal and par for the course.

In other words: I haven't the foggiest idea, but I would certainly be cautious with them. Not sure I'd discount them all together (especially if they will save me $ in the long run) but I would certainly be real careful. After my experience, I don't trust them because I can't understand how they operate, but my experience is from the initial purchase side so I don't think I could give you any worthwhile advice.

United States
    We had heard horror stories about forclosures so we skipped out on them for our house hunting. (People ripping out copper wiring, punching holes in walls, ects on homes they are about to lose)Plus where limited on options due to a certain school district in the area that has horrible education ratings.

Glad it worked out for you

ViP

United States
    It is my understanding that Fanny and Freddy were created to help out folks who overpaid for real estate, and need to get their house payments lowered. Our current lender notified us of the opportunity to reduce.

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    My only experience with HUD homes was about 15 years ago.

I was working in Law Enforcement, and in the area I lived in they had a program called "The Officer Next Door".

Per the requirements of the program, I had a badge and a gun and had been pre-approved for a mortgage...so they gave me access to these run down shacks in the ghetto. If I agreed to buy one of these dumps and move in and renovate it...I could have the house for half of the listed price.

The problem, like I said, is that the houses were all in areas that were so bad that I would've been living like Charlton Heston in "The Omega Man"--I would've had to shoot my way in before Sunset every night, and then do battle with mutants shooting fireballs through my front window night after night.

I passed.