Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Credit Crunch Home Cinema/Gaming/Music Room Build

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Yeah. Manufacturers standard 1 year. After my experience with the Onkyo i took out a 5 year one as well. Was peanuts so i thought why not. Glad i did now cause it seems that if modern av amps are going to wrong its going to be the hdmi that fails.
    Due to size restrictions I'm looking at getting an Onkyo 609 when the price comes down enough!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Pretty glad this thread got revived. Hoping to see some of the other home theaters you guys have.

I lived at a party house for two years, summer '09 - this past summer. In the basement we had arcade machines, bar, TV's for baseball/hockey games, and a movie theater area with a pull-down screen and stadium seating (well, the back tier was higher). So awesome. I miss it so much. My girlfriend and I plan on leaving the apartment we're in now and back into a house this summer. That will definitely be the first thing I set up. I also plan on upgrading my projector to an HD one.

I've had my eye on this one for a while: http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD20-De...=2KEBAT53UZJ2G
    Last edited by MikePizzoff; 26-Jan-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: a

Administrator

England
    ^^ Looks at his puny 46" plasma, and walks away quietly...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Ok. So today i finally get around to taking my Yamaha to Richer Sounds. Explained the problem. Assistant says no problem sir. We'll send it away and will take 3-4 weeks and they loan me a Sony amp with no remote and a dent in the side. No remote isn't a problem cause i've got a Harmony handset that controls everything and its just a case of telling it what amp it needs to control. I plug in the amp but cant be arsed to connect up the speakers tonight so im just going to use my wireless headphones. Plug the amp in, reprogramme the handset and switch it on.
    Guess what?
    Yep exactly the same thing. Green screen on every input except the Virgin Media set top box. Pictures fine on that one as it is with the Yamaha.
    WTF.
    If you google green screen HDMI you get some depressing stories. So much headscratching later im scowling at my beloved Sony projector, trying to figure out how this can be. The projector has one very very expensive HDMI cable running to it and if the amp is sending all the signals to the projector and 1 channel works then it cant be the projector it must be the amp. Right? So i unplug all the hdmi cables to various devices and reconnect them. Nothing. Same thing.
    By now im getting really pissed off. How can 3 amps have the same fault?
    Then it hits me. I remember reading something about the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) being very touchy with different HDMI connected devices. Its shuts down the signal if it doesnt like whats its receiving as part of the handshake protocol. So if you have a modern device that has recieved mixed info what do you do? You guessed it right. You power cycle it down by turning it off at the mains. I turned off the projector for 5 mins and then turned it back on and guess what again? Yep. It works.
    On reflection, it seems so obvious but it really wasn't. I was damn sure the fault was with the amp and everything pointed towards it being the amp.

Lesson of the day is turn everything off at the mains before declaring it broken.The Onkyo was completely knackered so i don't feel bad about that but im more relieved that the beautiful looking Yamaha is not a dud.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    LOL! That's the oldest IT solution for everything... "Have you turned it off and back on?"
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Glad it ended up working out for ya. I'd be kicking myself in the ass!

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Glad it ended up working out for ya. I'd be kicking myself in the ass!
    Have you researched what that Optoma is like out of the box settings wise? Part of the reason i bought the Sony was that is was nearly spot on in Cinema mode and didnt need any calibration except for a few colour temp and sharpness adjustments because of the screen i am using.

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    Waiting for my 3rd bulb to be delivered at the moment. Seems like 3-3500 hours is the lifespan of these projector bulbs on low lamp settings. The brightness is still very good but the sharpness has noticably deteriorated.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Damn, dude... 3,500 hours is 145 days of straight use. You really have gone through 2 bulbs already?! That's a lot of movie watching.

I didn't see your question about the Optoma earlier. It seems like out of the box it's pretty good, but I'm sure it could use some tweaking.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Damn, dude... 3,500 hours is 145 days of straight use. You really have gone through 2 bulbs already?! That's a lot of movie watching.

I didn't see your question about the Optoma earlier. It seems like out of the box it's pretty good, but I'm sure it could use some tweaking.
    It doesn't really seem that much use to me as its my 1st choice of viewing kit whether its sports, movies or gaming. Can't remember the last time i switched on the old plasma downstairs.
    After fitting the new bulb, its become apparent that the previous replacement was a copy/non original. The new bulb came fitted to a plastic module and just slotted in whereas the old one was a bulb only and i had to use my original module. Something to look out for when shopping around for a replacement. The part no of the new bulb and module also matches the original which surprised me as the copy was more expensive 2 1/2 years ago than the one i've just received

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    My PS3 died recently (YLOD), which i was using as a media server, so i added this excellent bit of technology

Western Digital TV Live.
    HDMI connection with 2 full size USB ports.
    Its played EVERY file i've thrown at it. Even reads ripped dvd folder structures and plays them as if they were dvds. It also streams every type of media wirelessly with only the occasional lag. Its connected to the interwebs as well and gives you access to netflix, youtube, dailymotion and many others. Simple games for those who like those sort of things.
    I think theres some sort of upscaling going on as well cause the picture is superb with SD files or that might just be my amp, not sure tbh.

All for £72 delivered from Pixmania. Very happy bunny.

Edit....
    Turns out the wireless lag was down to a badly ripped dvd. Everything else i've tried since is streaming perfectly
    Last edited by kidgloves; 25-Apr-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: wrong model

MY HOME CINEMA

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    My PS3 died recently (YLOD), which i was using as a media server, so i added this excellent bit of technology

Western Digital TV Live.
    HDMI connection with 2 full size USB ports.
    Its played EVERY file i've thrown at it. Even reads ripped dvd folder structures and plays them as if they were dvds. It also streams every type of media wirelessly with only the occasional lag. Its connected to the interwebs as well and gives you access to netflix, youtube, dailymotion and many others. Simple games for those who like those sort of things.
    I think theres some sort of upscaling going on as well cause the picture is superb with SD files or that might just be my amp, not sure tbh.

All for £72 delivered from Pixmania. Very happy bunny.

Edit....
    Turns out the wireless lag was down to a badly ripped dvd. Everything else i've tried since is streaming perfectly
    Can it act as a DVR? What is size is the HDD?

England
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Can it act as a DVR? What is size is the HDD?
    No. That's not what its for. It streams media from storage/internet/pc so you need to buy other devices as well. WD make loads of media players so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a model that does what your looking for but expect to pay considerably more for the tech.

I've had more lag issues when streaming from my pc since the last post so it seems more tweaking is required..

MY HOME CINEMA