Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dawn helicopter question

United States

Dawn helicopter question

I was wondering if anyone has any helicopter knowledge/experience. I had always wondered about the flight taken in Dawn, from Philly to Monroeville, as it is essentially a cross state trip.

We know they refuled at least once. Is that something realistic, or would they have had to refuel more, but we were just shown the one stop? (Maybe the other stops were uneventful) How long would it take to fly from Philly to Monroeville? Also, Fran mentioned that they had no radio...helicopters don't have a simple radio installed? How about a CB of some sort? That would have helped Flyboy when he was trying to warn Peter of the zombie ssneaking up on Roger while he was hotwiring the truck.

I was just wondering about this and hopefully someone here can shed a little light on things.
    Thanks!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    We know they refuled at least once. Is that something realistic, or would they have had to refuel more, but we were just shown the one stop? (Maybe the other stops were uneventful)
    I'd love to see additional scenes of Peter wasting more zombie kids...

United States
    You would think they'd have a radio,since it's a traffic helicopter, Stephen's the traffic reporter, and the news has to get to the station. What the fuck did Stephen do, observe traffic jams and then land to send a telegram?! No. There would be a radio, and he'd be sending his reports directly to the station. I would classify that as just a movie mistake.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    You would think they'd have a radio,since it's a traffic helicopter, Stephen's the traffic reporter, and the news has to get to the station. What the fuck did Stephen do, observe traffic jams and then land to send a telegram?! No. There would be a radio, and he'd be sending his reports directly to the station. I would classify that as just a movie mistake.
    In the trucking industry, drivers sometimes have to supply their own radio/CB when they're using a company truck. So perhaps the station makes each traffic reporter supply their own?

That doesn't answer why he wouldn't have brought his own, just throwing it out there....
    Last edited by bassman; 12-Mar-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    In the trucking industry, drivers sometimes have to supply their own radio/CB when they're using a company truck. So perhaps the station makes each traffic reporter supply their own?

That doesn't answer why he wouldn't have brought his own, just throwing it out there....
    Or perhaps Fran was referring to just a regular old AM/FM radio which would help them have a better idea what was going on on the ground.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Or perhaps Fran was referring to just a regular old AM/FM radio which would help them have a better idea what was going on on the ground.

That could be possible, but Fran and Stephen came from a tv station. Fran in particular knows how outdated and unreliable and just generally useless the "news" is that's being (non)circulated. Why would she think radio broadcasts would be any more valuable than the clusterfuck she just ran out on?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That could be possible, but Fran and Stephen came from a tv station. Fran in particular knows how outdated and unreliable and just generally useless the "news" is that's being (non)circulated. Why would she think radio broadcasts would be any more valuable than the clusterfuck she just ran out on?

There are some instances where misinformation is better than no information. Because as we know even the most well crafted lies have truth in them.

For example: Yes they had rescue stations up that have since closed down, so even a false report could give them the location of an overrun/abandoned rescue station that they could perhaps loot for supplies.

Just throwing it out there since we're doing all the speculating.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    The most reliable form of communication in a crisis is ham radio. They work long range and can be received on a whole host of hardware, including handsets no bigger than a walkie-talkie and available at any radio shack. The red cross has a network of self-powered trailers that would keep the ham radio network viable for weeks or months into a crisis.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Discussion about the Dawn helicopter from a few years ago
    http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...ead.php?t=1097

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    breaker breaker one nine...how about a Z report ..come on
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has any helicopter knowledge/experience. I had always wondered about the flight taken in Dawn, from Philly to Monroeville, as it is essentially a cross state trip.
    The trip is definitely less than 293 miles, because that's the shortest driving distance. The helicopter was a Bell JetRanger, which has a maximum speed of 139 mph and a range of 430 miles. If they started with a full tank, they shouldn't have had to refuel.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    The trip is definitely less than 293 miles, because that's the shortest driving distance. The helicopter was a Bell JetRanger, which has a maximum speed of 139 mph and a range of 430 miles. If they started with a full tank, they shouldn't have had to refuel.
    Unless they didn't fly in a straight line. It took them about a day to reach Monroeville so they must've been flying some sort of zig-zag pattern.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Perfect answer! Thanks! This is pretty much what I was wondering about. I didn't think it should take a day to a day and a half to fly across state. I didn't know about the fuel supply, but the distance seemed like it shouldn't be so great.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It should have not taken them as long as it did, by any means. You can drive a CAR (with traffic) across the whole state in one day; flying a helicopter from Philly to Monroeville should have only taken them like 3-4 hours, in my non-expert opinion.

United States
    I used to drive my 18 wheeler all the way across PA 4 times a week straight across I-80 from Illinois to NY 2 times a week..it only took about 5 to 6 hours going up and down those hills in a big truck, that was 335 miles give or take a few.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.