Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best zombie makeup and effects

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I've always thought it was similar to "judge" in The Frighteners. Fake cheek and jaw, black material on the real cheek to make it look like the inside of the mouth.

Although it's probably something holding back a large portion of her mouth. Seems like I remember Nicotero talking about them using that look around that time. Sucking the lips back to show the teeth and such.
    Yep, on the extras on Diary, he talks about that. If I remember, he was the doctor zombie, and he had this clear molded thing in his mouth to draw the lips back.

I know it's not a movie, but the zombies in Michael Jackson's Thriller looked awesome. The fat one scared the shit out of me when I first watched that.
    Kill 'em All

United States
    Number nine's makeup was achieved by making her dentures come out past her lips. So the dentures went out of her mouth and along her cheek. I would have done a life cast on her with the teeth in and then sculpted my prosthetic design over that in clay. Then you take a mold of that (I would do it in stone). De-mold, clean the clay out, then cast it in silicone (they might have used foam latex for her because alot of the hero zombies did). The result is a piece that fits her face and fake teeth perfectly. Since it is a platnum (can not be tin) based silicone, it will act,feel, and look like real flesh. You might even see a makeup like this in a possible upcoming film.

I think the zombies in notld 90 are very scary especially the "Greg Funk zombie (cemetery zombie). Optic Nerve really did a good job.
    Last edited by fulci fan; 17-Feb-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    That description makes a lot of sense, Fulci fan!

Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    You might even see a makeup like this in a possible upcoming film.
    !!!

???

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    Number nine's makeup was achieved by making her dentures come out past her lips. So the dentures went out of her mouth and along her cheek. I would have done a life cast on her with the teeth in and then sculpted my prosthetic design over that in clay. Then you take a mold of that (I would do it in stone). De-mold, clean the clay out, then cast it in silicone (they might have used foam latex for her because alot of the hero zombies did). The result is a piece that fits her face and fake teeth perfectly. Since it is a platnum (can not be tin) based silicone, it will act,feel, and look like real flesh. You might even see a makeup like this in a possible upcoming film.
    Sounds like a major pain in the ass. They should just stick to randomly slapping shit on actor's faces like in your Nightmare City avatar.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Sounds like a major pain in the ass. They should just stick to randomly slapping shit on actor's faces like in your Nightmare City avatar.
    Hey buster, that is a classic! I don't know why, but the makeups that people hate, I end up loving. Since I am a makeup artist, I appreciate and know what is good but for some reason, I love the Italian stuff.

United States
    Although I like the zombies in Resident Evil 3, the scariest zombie make up for me would be the first guy in Return of the Living Dead 3. The first time I watched that was alone in my apartment. If he'd have come from around the corner on me then, I would've shit my pants. I heard somewhere he was some homeless guy or something. Skinny as a rail. Scary as fuck.

Christmas Island
    Day.

Not just the makeup but their filthy cruddy clothing really added to the monstrous looks of those things.

United States
    Day in a landslide. Show anyone a quality copy and have them guess the year it was made... and I doubt many would believe the film was 25 years old.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Day in a landslide. Show anyone a quality copy and have them guess the year it was made... and I doubt many would believe the film was 25 years old.
    Whoa! Now that I think about it....how could my parents allow me to watch this as an 8 year old!!!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There's one thing that definitely gives away the decade in which Day was filmed. The score. It just screams 80's. Pretty much everything else is timeless, though.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    it's day hands down. all others are mere pretenders.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    There's one thing that definitely gives away the decade in which Day was filmed. The score. It just screams 80's. Pretty much everything else is timeless, though.
    I love the soundtrack. I think Goblin would have done a good job though. They should have done what they did with Dawn and have different versions.

United States
    NOLD 68. Russo's "don't look at it" ghoul scared the crap out of me back in the day. Guess it hit me at the right time.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't know about best but my favorite is the zombie in The Gate.

Thriller had some badass zombies, too.

United States
    For Romero flicks I go with Day.

The ones in Zombie are awesome, old and dirty looking. I love the one coming out of the grave and how they put the camera underneath the dirt. The maggots and worms added a special icky feeling.

I also like how they did the zombies in Planet Terror. There was not many closeups and they always seemed to be somewhat far away, and then they'd zoom in and it felt like they were devouring you. And when they seemed to be upon you they looked quite scary and hideous.
    "You stick your head in the sun, they're gonna come up behind you and bite off your ass."

United States
    Okay, well, I have to chime in. Zombi 2 has the best zombies and effects in any movie hands down. The techniques were so simple yet they can't be matched. How the makeups and effects were actually done are still shrouded i mystery.
    I actually am making a tribute mask for zombi 2. Every worm eye zombie mask or bust I have seen has never got the likeness down. My goal is to make a mask of every featured zombie in the film. I really like the zombie that Al Cliver shoots in the window. It is so mean looking.