Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rob Zombie to Write/Direct new "Halloween"

Undisclosed

Rob Zombie to Write/Direct new "Halloween"

According to http://www.halloweenmovies.com the official Halloween site, Rob Zombie is set to Write and direct the next Halloween film. He plans to "reimagine" and "reinvigorate" the series. I really think this is bad for one reason. The series has already split off 2 times, we really don't need another timeline to follow. Just make something to fit all the Myers films together and end the series that has become so horrible!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    im not too excited the house of a 1000 corpses was meant to be "more terrifying than the texas chainsaw massacre".

it wasnt.

it was predictable crap that was leeching off the classic texas chainsaw film and turned out to be a steaming turd of a film, lots of red lighting and metrosexual versions of the creatures from hellraiser do not a good movie make.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing
    im not too excited the house of a 1000 corpses was meant to be "more terrifying than the texas chainsaw massacre".

it wasnt.

it was predictable crap that was leeching off the classic texas chainsaw film and turned out to be a steaming turd of a film, lots of red lighting and metrosexual versions of the creatures from hellraiser do not a good movie make.
    You're right about "House of 1000 Corpses", but have you seen "The Devil's Rejects"? I thought "House..." sucked and didn't even care to see "TDR", but when I did.....man was I glad that I watched it. It's a freaking awesome flick. MUCH, much better than "House...".

I heard this "Halloween" thing was just a rumor, but if it's true.....I now have faith for Zombie after seeing "TDR".

United States
    One of the better news coming out that's horror related. I tend to dismiss House of 1000 Corpses as Zombie feeling his way through a major feature-film project. To me his coming out party is the deliciously nihilistic, hellbilly-exploitation flick (yes flick is the only way to truly call this classic in the making) The Devil's Rejects. I hope it's the latter Zombie that comes through in this reboot of Carpenter's classic.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ok ill hold my judgement till i see the devils rejects.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing
    ok ill hold my judgement till i see the devils rejects.
    It's a great flick! Much better than 1,000 corpses!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome
    It's a great flick! Much better than 1,000 corpses!

I agree 100%. The leap between HOTC and TDR is absolutely huge.

If it wasn't Carpenter doing the next installment of the Halloween series, I'm glad it's Rob. If there's anyone who can connect to that 'late 70's horror movie' feel, it's Rob. One glance at TDR makes that pretty evident.

I found this piece of news today:

Rob Zombie has commented further on the announcement over the weekend that he has been tapped to revive the successful "Halloween" franchise, some 28 years after accomplished horror director John Carpenter's influential slasher flick first introduced the world to Michael Myers, an escaped mental patient who massacred his family on Halloween night.

In a message posted on Zombie's MySpace page last week, the rocker shot down rumors that he'd been in discussions with Dimension Films to breathe new life into the pale-masked Myers.

"I don't know how this story all got started but I am not making 'Halloween 9'," he wrote in a post dated June 3. The next morning, he clarified the situation in a separate post, writing, "I am not making 'Halloween 9'. That series is done, complete, over. But what I am doing is starting totally from scratch. Call it a remake, an update, a re-imagining or whatever, but one thing that [is] for sure is this is a whole new start — a new beginning with no connection to the other series. That is exactly why the project appeals to me. I can take it and run with it."

Before accepting the job, Zombie told Variety he'd reached out to Carpenter, seeking his blessing.

"The original 'Halloween' is hallowed ground to me, and I talked to him about it and he was very supportive of what I wanted to do," Zombie said. "He said, 'Go for it, Rob. Make it your own.' And that's exactly what I intend to do. Over 25 years and a lot of movies, a very scary character became something of a Halloween cliché, with Michael Myers dolls that play the Halloween music when you press their stomachs. By the end of the sequel cycle, there was little connection to the original. I take that film very seriously, and I want to make it terrifying again."

Zombie's "Halloween" film is slated for an October 2007 release.

United States
    Suppose in this era of remakes it was only a matter of time before the Halloween franchise got a retcon.

After the death of Moustapha Akkad in a terrorist attack in Nov 2005, the plans for yet another sequel were put on hold. The jumbled timeline of the Halloween movies was definately due for review.

On one hand there are the "loyalists" who see

H1 - H2 - H20 as the only "true" halloween movies.

Then there are those who follow the Thorn cult subplot outlined in H4, H5, H6 and see it as the underlying motive of the entire Halloween series. If you get the chance watch the Producers Cut of Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers - you get an entirely different take on the series.

Will be interesting to see how Rob Zombie reimagines the franchise. Should have plenty of gore based on his previous horror movies.

United States
    That's the thing about Zombie that I've noticed as a filmmaker. After the turd that was House of a 1000 Corpses many thought that The Devil's Rejects would be more of the same. Instead Zombie's sophomore effort turned out to be very well done showed just how much Zombie learned from his first film. Despite the gore in TDR I'm of the mind that Zombie may actually pay abit of an homage to Carpenter and limit the amount of blood and gore shown on the screen and maybe try to get back to Halloween's roots and rely on tension and dread. If one was to look at Carpenter's original there really wasn't that much gore and blood.

If Zombie relies on making his reboot of the original more gory and something like Aja's The Hills Have Eyes remake then I'm fine with that. But I'm really interested in seeing if Zombie can grow as a filmmaker and try something new like create a horror film that less about gore but more with the terror and shock.
    --- Batman

Dead

Undisclosed
    Rob Zombie is wrong for the series. His style is nothing close to what John Carpenter did for the first and partly for the second. Rob Zombie's movies are more gritty while one of reasons I like Halloween so much is because it isn't gritty, rather a bit more stylized. I hope something happens that makes this not happen.

ViP

United States
    I am invisioning Rob dipping into Michael Myers backstory a little more, mixing in some satanism and other goodies. I'm not talking about over-the-top supernatural, just some good clean satanistic fun to give the story a little more bite. Gee, I wonder who'll play Dr. Loomis?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie04
    Rob Zombie is wrong for the series. His style is nothing close to what John Carpenter did for the first and partly for the second. Rob Zombie's movies are more gritty while one of reasons I like Halloween so much is because it isn't gritty, rather a bit more stylized. I hope something happens that makes this not happen.
    Maybe that's what Zombie meant when he said his reboot/reimagining/remake of Halloween is going to be done differently instead of going by the numbers. I know with Aja's remake of The Hills Have Eyes some saw it as a vast improvement style-wise over that of Craven's. Maybe the same might be said about Zombie's remake of Carpenter's classic.
    --- Batman

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish
    I am invisioning Rob dipping into Michael Myers backstory a little more, mixing in some satanism and other goodies. I'm not talking about over-the-top supernatural, just some good clean satanistic fun to give the story a little more bite. Gee, I wonder who'll play Dr. Loomis?
    You think so? I think Mr. Zombie is pretty old School when it comes to his films and may just stay a little closer to the basic Myers being crazy angle. I'm not a huge fan of his films but I like the guy when I've seen him in interviews and he knows his old horror (read: PRE 1950's horror) films. I think 'White Zombie' is his fave film of all time.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish
    I know some people have been shouting at the moon since this news to have Sid Haig cast as Dr Loomis, but as much as I like Sid "Captain Spaulding" Haig, I'd rather Zombie cast someone who has the acting chops to give the role the gravitas it needs. Be nice if Zombie scores Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Loomis.
    --- Batman

Canada
    Yeah I really doubt Sid Haig could really pull it off. I'm guessing Mr. Hopkins may pass on Halloween however...