Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 30th anniversary edition reviewed

Undisclosed
    I've still yet to see this as I don't want it to tinge the original.

Can anyone confirm if the picture quality is better than Elite's restored version? I remember reading the original negative was used for this, and possibly the new crap was cut in?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by aga View Post
    I've still yet to see this as I don't want it to tinge the original.

Can anyone confirm if the picture quality is better than Elite's restored version? I remember reading the original negative was used for this, and possibly the new crap was cut in?
    It's not better than the Elite Millennium edition. The 30th image is also cropped.
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcom...livingdead.htm
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...livingdead.htm

At this point, we need a high definition transfer in order to see a significantly better image than the Millennium edition.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Strange that a priest should look like Anton LaVey.
    Cap, I knew that is why you liked that dude!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Canada
    Post deleted.
    Last edited by dogma789; 12-Feb-2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Deleted post.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by dogma789 View Post
    I like the opening music.
    Question is, do you think that it is an improvement over the library tracks that Romero initally used as the main theme? In my opinion the library tracks are far superior to the stupidity put forth by that Anton LaVey wannabe! But hey, that's just me.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Question is, do you think that it is an improvement over the library tracks that Romero initally used as the main theme? In my opinion the library tracks are far superior to the stupidity put forth by that Anton LaVey wannabe! But hey, that's just me.
    Conventional wisdom agrees with you. It's not so much that the new score is bad music when taken on it's own, but here's the problem:

1.) The new music is too cliche. It's a typical synthesized/sampled instrument arrangement and it is too simply structured. Certain parts sound quantized like it's being played by a machine. The overall effect is that it's about as scary as the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack or the Tales From The Crypt theme.

In comparison, the library tracks have acoustic instrumentation playing some very unconventional arrangements (my personal favorite--when Ben prepares to light the chair on fire--is just a female voice and a timpani). There is a human element to all of the performances. Dissonance is also used often for maximum creepiness.

2.) The new music is intercut with the old library tracks which entirely defeats the purpose of having a new score. Not only does this make the soundtrack seem like a patch-job, but the audience is constantly reminded of what they are missing.

3.) The new score has little variety. It's the same tempo and themes repeated over and over. The library tracks are varied by comparison. Some of the more dramatic music (Barbra's flight from the cemetery, and the final attack) feature rich crescendos, while the more atmospheric cues (the ghouls at the kitchen window and the posse) have pulsating ostinados.

Don't even mention the NIGHT '90 score.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 12-Nov-2007 at 11:36 PM.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Don't even mention the NIGHT '90 score.
    LOL, sounds like a below par keyboardist on a cheap ass synthesizer.

United States
    1.) The new music is too cliche. It's a typical synthesized/sampled instrument arrangement and it is too simply structured. Certain parts sound quantized like it's being played by a machine. The overall effect is that it's about as scary as the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack or the Tales From The Crypt theme.
    I have to agree, much too mechanical. Quantizing is the last resort for a musician with shoddy technique.

BTW: Consistently amazed by your knowledge, Dubious, this time of music. You speak like my friends who were heavily into theory. Good call.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I have to agree, much too mechanical. Quantizing is the last resort for a musician with shoddy technique.

BTW: Consistently amazed by your knowledge, Dubious, this time of music. You speak like my friends who were heavily into theory. Good call.
    Thanks. It would have been possible to pull off a synthesized soundtrack for NIGHT, but it would take a completely different approach. You can't emulate the richness of the orchestrated brass "stingers," but many of the minimalist arrangements could have been easily matched with a bit of skill and ingenuity. In comparison, just listen to what Karl Hardman did with a primitive synthesizer (more likely a tone generator), a tape echo and a reverb tank--and he wasn't even a musician.

Just the fact that the composer of the 30th anniversary took on the nickname of "Vlad" demonstrates that he was far from the best man for the job. Stupid Aleister Crowley/Anton Levy/skinhead/goatee wannabes make me puke!
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 12-Nov-2007 at 09:23 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i agree with harry knowles-the morons who perpetrated this travestical piece of sheyat should be buried alive.

it is one of the worst-no strike that-the worst thing that has ever been perpetrated on film.

my two year old and his play group buddies could do better.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    i agree with harry knowles-the morons who perpetrated this travestical piece of sheyat should be buried alive.

it is one of the worst-no strike that-the worst thing that has ever been perpetrated on film.

my two year old and his play group buddies could do better.
    Yes it is really that bad for anyone who hasn't seen it.
    As for the music, they should have lifted the original library tracks and mixed it to any new footage. But unfortunately the new footage is so bad that even using original music wouldn't have helped it.

If you watch the film it won't lessen what you think of the original but only enhances what a masterful job Romero actually did back in 1968.

If there was one film in American History which could be destroyed at the calling of the audience then the 30th anniversary would be the clear winner.

Undisclosed

re

It was indeed horrible, and yet....I own it. I guess I have to break it out every once in a while to remind myself that a suckiness such as this does actually exist.

Almost like looking at an old scar.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by BrodietheSlayer View Post
    It was indeed horrible, and yet....I own it. I guess I have to break it out every once in a while to remind myself that a suckiness such as this does actually exist.

Almost like looking at an old scar.

There is something more disturbing than the 30th anniversary - the way Russo was talking about it before it was released.

In Fangoria 179 he said "We're gonna take out about 15 minutes and put in 15-20. Some places that were slow are going to go and we've already seen they can come out with no detriment. In fact, It gives the movie a more modern pace. Just enough that it works better than before."

And regarding the internet negativity about the idea of doing all of this he said "...But even that has turned around. Now that they're starting to find out the great care and respect we're treating the original with."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post
    And regarding the internet negativity about the idea of doing all of this he said "...But even that has turned around. Now that they're starting to find out the great care and respect we're treating the original with."

Sadly, Russo isn't the only one to blame as just about everyone on the commentary struggles to point out the "great care and respect" that went into the 30th anniversary edition.

There is no reason why any original footage had to come out. It was a straight-to-DVD release, certainly there would have been no qualms about an extended running time.

There was no reason for a new score. Go back to Capitol Hi-Q (or any other music production library) and fine-tune the soundtrack with the same care that Romero used in putting it together.

There was no reason to use friends, and relatives, and friends of friends and relatives, and assorted acquaintances. An ambitious project such as this requires professionals, not amateurs. The cinematography and lighting of the new footage isn't even clsoe to the original footage, not by a long shot. You have to question the sanity of those that claim it blends together "seemlessly."

United States

There was no reason to use friends, and relatives, and friends of friends and relatives, and assorted acquaintances. An ambitious project such as this requires professionals, not amateurs.
    As usual I totally agree with Dubious. All of what he pointed out is true and on the mark, but to me the above statement is, at the very core, the biggest problem this piece of maggoty BS had.

On another note: I have heard that Streiner wrote a lengthy piece which appeared somewhere online in which he vehemently defends NOLD 30th, and -at least in his own feeble mind - refutes all of the criticisms waged against this steaming unholy pile. I am hoping that Dubious or one of the other well-informed zombie heads might be able to point me to that article. I am in need of a good laugh and may feel compelled to wipe my ass with Streiner's article.