Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, what movie's going to be #1 this weekend?

Dead

Undisclosed

So, what movie's going to be #1 this weekend?

The new releases are:
    Fast and the Furious 3:Tokyo Drift
    Garfield 2
    Nacho Libre

and the other movies already out are:
    Cars
    X-Men 3
    and a few others which won't make more than $10 million

I'm really disappointed in this. Usually summer is when studios try to release the better movies so they make lots of money. Now it seems that everything is a sequel, prequel, remake, or reimagining. I doubt F&F3 is going to make what the first two made, Garfield 2 will be lucky to make what the first made, and I can't see Nacho Libre doing more than $65 million in it's full run. X3 I'm sure will not regain #1 because it's been out too long and everybody's seen it, and Cars is the only thing that might threaten the new releases. I haven't seen it yet so I can't say anything but I hope to see it sometime soon. Pixar hasn't disappointed me yet so I have high hopes. Anyways, the question remains, which of these crappy new releases is going to make the most money this coming weekend and how much do you think people will actually fork over to see them?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm thinking that "Cars" will probably be number one.

I can't believe that there is a "Garfield 2". AND it's voiced by Bill Murray. The same Bill Murray that said he would never make another sequel again. But nooooo....he'll do a sequel to a crappy movie but absolutely refuses to be in "Ghostbusters 3". And being that he owns a quarter of the rights to the franchise....he squashed my dreams of ever seeing the Busters on the screen again. Even after the other creators were ready to do it.

Anyway.....the films i'm looking forward to(in the near future) are "Superman Returns", "Clerks 2" and "Stangers with Candy". There's absolutely no way that "Superman" won't take first place for at least two weekends. Another one that I'm excited about is David Fincher's "Zodiac", but it got pushed back until January 2007. Which sucks because January is often labeled as the month where "films go to die".

United States
    Not sure about this weekend. Studios spent $$$ promoting Jack Black in Nacho Libre, guess that will do fairly well.

June 23rd - Click with Adam Sandler will be #1

June 28th - Superman Returns

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    I'm thinking that "Cars" will probably be number one.

I can't believe that there is a "Garfield 2". AND it's voiced by Bill Murray. The same Bill Murray that said he would never make another sequel again. But nooooo....he'll do a sequel to a crappy movie but absolutely refuses to be in "Ghostbusters 3". And being that he owns a quarter of the rights to the franchise....he squashed my dreams of ever seeing the Busters on the screen again. Even after the other creators were ready to do it.

Anyway.....the films i'm looking forward to(in the near future) are "Superman Returns", "Clerks 2" and "Stangers with Candy". There's absolutely no way that "Superman" won't take first place for at least two weekends. Another one that I'm excited about is David Fincher's "Zodiac", but it got pushed back until January 2007. Which sucks because January is often labeled as the month where "films go to die".
    they were gonna make a 3rd busters film around 2002 but apparently a cast member died, it was meant to coincide with the finale of the etreme ghostbuster cartoon.

damn that was a good while ago.

and of course i gotta see clerks too purely for more randel graves sarcasm "do you think she was talking about my cousin?", genius.

as for strangers with candy isnt that the one that was in fangoria about that young girl who performs an "operation" on a guy who met her in a chatroom?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing
    they were gonna make a 3rd busters film around 2002 but apparently a cast member died, it was meant to coincide with the finale of the etreme ghostbuster cartoon.

damn that was a good while ago.

and of course i gotta see clerks too purely for more randel graves sarcasm "do you think she was talking about my cousin?", genius.

as for strangers with candy isnt that the one that was in fangoria about that young girl who performs an "operation" on a guy who met her in a chatroom?
    It wasn't going to coincide with the "Extreme Ghostbusters" cartoon(that show was a joke). No, none of the cast members have died. They're all alive and well. Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis have the script finished and they tried to get it made back in the late 90's, but Murray refused. And being that he owns a portion of the rights to the franchise....that means they couldn't do it. Even after they finally got Columbia pictures to agree....

No, I think you're thinking of "Hard Candy". "Strangers with Candy" is a movie based on a show that used to air on Comedy Central but is now cancelled. It's about an elderly ex-junkie and con who goes back to high school in an attempt to start her life over. It was a very funny show. It was one of the shows that helped Stephen Colbert get famous.....before "The Colbert Report".

Undisclosed
    The movie that will beat all the summer movies is...Snakes on a Plane!
    I really can't wait to see how much it makes.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think for this coming weekend cars will retain the #1 spot.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    I do too - I saw Cars yesterday and it was a fantastic movie.

Oh, and Garfield... don't even get me started. Mistake number one was getting Murray to do the voice for Garfield. For God's sake, please let Bill Murray drift into obscurity. He's just like Chevy Chase is nowadays: NOT FUNNY.

Mistake number two: an animated Garfield and the rest live actors.

I'll tell you one thing: I want to get a hold of whatever it is these movie people are smoking in Hollywood!
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 15-Jun-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I agree that Hollywood is crap these days.....but I don't agree with this:

Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr
    Oh, and Garfield... don't even get me started. Mistake number one was getting Murray to do the voice for Garfield. For God's sake, please let Bill Murray drift into obscurity. He's just like Chevy Chase is nowadays: NOT FUNNY.
    Bill Murray is not funny when he does stupid movies like "Garfield" and "Charlies Angels". But he has been in some pretty good flicks in the last 10 or so years. "Life Aquatic", "Rushmore", "The Royal Tenenbaums", "Kingpen", etc.

And for a funny little peice of useless trivia:
    The character of "Peter Venkman" that was played by Bill Murray in the film "Ghostbusters"(1984), was voiced by Lorenzo Music in the first few seasons of "The Real Ghostbusters"(1986). Lorenzo Music was the voice of Garfield in the original cartoon.

I just thought it was strange that Garfield was the voice of Venkman.....and then Venkman was the voice of Garfield ....

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think you can call that ironic.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    I call it a "mistake"

They should've had the guy who did the original cartoon series voice for Garfield do the movie (wasn't he the doorman for the Mary Tyler Moore show or something? I seem to recall he was on a TV show prior to doing the voice for Garfield in the cartoon series). Murray was a horrible choice for the voice of Garfield. I haven't seen him in anything funny in at least a decade. Granted, I haven't seen any of his recent movies, but I don't think that would change my opinion of him.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I call it a "mistake"

They should've had the guy who did the original cartoon series voice for Garfield do the movie (wasn't he the doorman for the Mary Tyler Moore show or something? I seem to recall he was on a TV show prior to doing the voice for Garfield in the cartoon series). Murray was a horrible choice for the voice of Garfield. I haven't seen him in anything funny in at least a decade. Granted, I haven't seen any of his recent movies, but I don't think that would change my opinion of him.
    Lorenzo Music(original voice of Garfield) passed away in 2001. "Garfield: The Movie" was made in 2004.

Haha...What? How can you say he hasn't done anything funny and he's like Chevy Chase if you haven't seen his recent flicks?

United States
    I got my money on Garfield 2. Fast and the Furious sucks, both, and the third probably won't be an exception.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    Lorenzo Music(original voice of Garfield) passed away in 2001. "Garfield: The Movie" was made in 2004.

Haha...What? How can you say he hasn't done anything funny and he's like Chevy Chase if you haven't seen his recent flicks?
    Damn, that sucks he died in 2001. I had no idea.

About Murray - oh, it's pretty simple actually. First, I by 'recent' movies, I mean in the past say, 3-4 years. Second, have you heard anything good about any of his recent movies? Anything at all? Me neither. I would think if he did something that was worthy of being "funny" like he used to be, it would be talked about. It hasn't. Therefore, I deduce he's just like Chevy Chase is today - not funny, and not doing a damn thing worth watching. I could be wrong, but Garfield was the nail in the coffin for me and Bill Murray. I'm sure he just took a job that was offered to him, so I place the blame of the Garfield/Murray fiasco on the casting people, but c'mon... argue all you want with my statement, but you know I'm right. The man isn't funny anymore, period. Compare anything he did pre-1995 (hell, even pre-2000!) to anything he did after (and yes, i've seen some of his post-1995/2000 films). Which was the better time for him and his acting/comedy?

I rest my case.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 16-Jun-2006 at 04:07 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Damn, that sucks he died in 2001. I had no idea.

About Murray - oh, it's pretty simple actually. First, I by 'recent' movies, I mean in the past say, 3-4 years. Second, have you heard anything good about any of his recent movies? Anything at all? Me neither. I would think if he did something that was worthy of being "funny" like he used to be, it would be talked about. It hasn't. Therefore, I deduce he's just like Chevy Chase is today - not funny, and not doing a damn thing worth watching. I could be wrong, but Garfield was the nail in the coffin for me and Bill Murray. I'm sure he just took a job that was offered to him, so I place the blame of the Garfield/Murray fiasco on the casting people, but c'mon... argue all you want with my statement, but you know I'm right. The man isn't funny anymore, period. Compare anything he did pre-1995 (hell, even pre-2000!) to anything he did after (and yes, i've seen some of his post-1995/2000 films). Which was the better time for him and his acting/comedy?

I rest my case.
    "The Royal Tenenbaums"(2001)
    "Lost In Translation"(2003)
    "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou"(2004)
    "Broken Flowers"(2005)

True, I would definitely choose his older films over the latter because....who wouldn't? They're classics("Ghostbusters", "Caddyshack", "Stripes", etc.). But these are all post-2000 and very good. In fact, "Life Aquatic" is probably one of the funniest movies I've seen in the last decade. As well as, one of his best roles as Steve Zissou.

Murray hasn't lost his comedic touch. He probably just took the "Garfield" jobs because they're easy(just voice work) and it's quick money. He's definitely still got it, though.

I rest my case ...
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Jun-2006 at 04:59 PM.