Message Details
AuthorMessage
TheAteBall
Fresh meat

Subject: Thanks ...Date: Mon 12-Dec-2005, 22:40:09

It was a horible day...
My daughter is asthmatic, she suffered a pretty bad bout earlier saturday which I was able to help her get through. Being a sufferer myself I was taught a few "tricks" by a doctor when I was young to keep calm when an attack happens and I helped by using these tips.
Well it was also my 39th birthday.

My daughter managed to sleep about 5 hours and woke around 3 pm, feeling a bit rough but no worse for wear, she's 14 and very vibrant....cheerleader, dance class, softball, basketball you name it, she loves it. Very active happy kid, some of you may have met her at rock& shock, she's the light of my life.
At 12 pm saturday night my wife woke me saying "She wants you to come downstairs and help her again, she's having another attack"...well this time it hit her hard and fast, within 4 minutes she grasped me and wrapped her arms around my neck, in a hug that felt as if she could have broken my neck. She gasped once and blacked out, my wife and I found ourselves giving her CPR, her teeth were clenched tight and she was turning blue. My wife dialed 911 as I did CPR, then I called them back 2 minutes later to tell them she was not breathing and she was changing color, it seemed as if nothing was helping.
The ambulance arrived within 3 minutes and she was taken to the local hospital then life flighted to UMass where the doctors were amazing, they had her wired up like my friggin surround system in seconds and she was being breathed for with a machine.
I got home at 11 am Sunday morning, after being awake since 4:30 am saturday, I finally crashed at 1 pm and woke up about 10 pm.
Well at 11 pm Sunday the phone rang, it was Umass and they said they had someone who wanted to talk to us... my baby girl had woken up and was worried about missing her english test monday....this is after the Dr's had told us that she would be unconscience for at least another 2 days and they were worried about the length of time she had been without oxygen. The child actually had the nerve to THANK her mother and I for saving her life, as if we did something amazing rather than acting out of pure instinct. We're no heroes and both of us are scared $hitless,tired and more than grateful to God and the fast acting professionals who responded.

She was up and at'em today (Monday) and much more active than the Dr's ever expected, kid just freaking amazes me at times, from one extreme to the typical teen in a matter of hours. She totally ignored any of the diagnosis that the Dr's gave and made them all look like monkeys. She was alert, talkative and even strolled around the teens ward with me because "she was bored"...
kids ...what a trip.
The wife and I are scared to death for two days that she's at deaths door and she wakes up worried about her English test and Cheerleading practice....go figure.

Message Thread
[ View Parent Message ]

Warning
To reply to this message you must be logged on via a registered account. To logon or create a new account take the 'Logon/Register' option above.