Message Details
AuthorMessage
scousezombie
Fresh meat

Subject: Well, each to their own I suppose...Date: Sun 19-Feb-2006, 13:43:30

I enjoyed Land, but I enjoyed it the least out of GAR's zombie films, and less than Dawn 2004. Let me explain why...

The reason for my lack of enthusiasm was that, for me, the film undermined the things that make zombies scary to me in the first place.

Zombies are most frightening to me when they are without personality; it's their loss of humanity that makes them chilling, the fact that they have become soulless eating machines, for want of a better description. Vivian springs to mind.

I didn't particularly like the idea of 'Bub' but I could at least reassure myself that he was an exception, the result of ongoing encouragement and feedback from Dr Logan whilst in captivity - a tame zombie so to speak.

Now in Land we have 'wild' zombies, and they are doing a lot more than acting on rudimentary instict - Big Daddy displays more complex emotions, i.e. a desire for revenge, compassion (for fellow zombies) - if he'd stubled across one of his former friends he might not have bothered to eat them...that's just wrong! When zombies start acting with identifiably human empotions they are diminished somehow, well, for me anyway.

I'm glad some of you really enjoyed this film, however, and I would still like to see a sequel, although I would have preferred to have seen a sequel to Dawn 2004 just to settle the ongoing debate about whether they were all eaten or not at the end!

Message Thread
[ View Parent Message ]

Warning
To reply to this message you must be logged on via a registered account. To logon or create a new account take the 'Logon/Register' option above.